What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian 18 pounder

TimG

Premium Member
I find this 18 pdr case a little unusual. Firstly with a manufacture date of 1909 it is an early example, the 18 pdr only entered service in 1904. Secondly, it is of Indian manufacture, whereas the majority I’ve seen are of Canadian or American manufacture. This particular case was made at Cossipore Gun and Shell Factory. I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I had never heard of the facility. It is the largest and longest operating ordnance factory in India having been started by the East India Company in 1802 and is still operating today.

The ‘rosette’ stamping next to the 9 of 1909, I believe to denote the case was condemned but retained as a dummy. Normally there would be a circular stamp around such a mark.

Unfortunately, someone has seen fit to shorten the case to about 30mm.

Follow the link for an extensive history of the factory -
http://mod.nic.in/Samachar/april15-02/html/ch1.htm

TimG
IMG_0538.jpg

..and so you should be, young Tim!

Cosipore supplied brass to the Royal Laboratory at Woolwich and was used to make both .450 Martini and .303 inch cases. They can be identified by having both the R^L and the Indian "I" in the headstamp.

Regards
TonyE