What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inert Mech. Time Fuse?

poltewerke

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi, can any members l.D. this fuse - it was in a American 3in. 50 cal. round but l do not believe its for that caliber. What would be the correct std. nose fuze for 3in 50 cal. - 1944 mfg. ln hope, cheers all. Ron.

Attachments

• MISC. only. 064.jpg
    MISC. only. 064.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 52
  • MISC. only. 073.jpg
    MISC. only. 073.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 44
  • MISC. only. 074.jpg
    MISC. only. 074.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 59
  • MISC. only. 075.jpg
    MISC. only. 075.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 50
  • MISC. only. 076.jpg
    MISC. only. 076.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 50
Inert Mechnical Time fuze...

Hello Ron,

What you have is a U.S. manufactured Waltham 75 second mechnical time fuze, Mark I. These were our first M/T fuzes and came into service in 1918. They were used primarily in our Antiaircraft guns, model 1917 (fixed position) and model 1918 (mobile). They were in service into the late 1930's so finding one on a 3 inch /50 is correct. The standard M/T fuze for a 3"/50 projectile in 1944 was the M43 and the P/D fuze was the M48. The Mark I fuzes were also used in our 4.7 inch shrapnel, 5 & 6 inch seacoast guns and the 155mm.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
what he said

Shelldude is correct including the projectile size. I think we'll call that a positive I.D. Oh by the way ass kickin' fuze, she's a beaut...Dano

lD on fuze.

Hello Ron,

What you have is a U.S. manufactured Waltham 75 second mechnical time fuze, Mark I. These were our first M/T fuzes and came into service in 1918. They were used primarily in our Antiaircraft guns, model 1917 (fixed position) and model 1918 (mobile). They were in service into the late 1930's so finding one on a 3 inch /50 is correct. The standard M/T fuze for a 3"/50 projectile in 1944 was the M43 and the P/D fuze was the M48. The Mark I fuzes were also used in our 4.7 inch shrapnel, 5 & 6 inch seacoast guns and the 155mm.

Best regards,

Randall
Hello mate, well Randall you have made my day, no month. Really pleased with your help on this item. l thought it was made in the seventies for 155mm. gun - idiot l am. Would it be considered rare? Thank you very much indeed. Cheers, RonB.

Waltham Mark I M/T fuze...

Hello Ron,

Your Mark I fuze is dificult to come across even here in the U.S., overseas I suspect they are EXTREMLY rare. You have a really beautiful example of one of the first truly M/T fuzes, hold on to it!

Best regards,

Randall

Hello Ron,

Your Mark I fuze is dificult to come across even here in the U.S., overseas I suspect they are EXTREMLY rare. You have a really beautiful example of one of the first truly M/T fuzes, hold on to it!

Best regards,

Randall
Well, that's now made my year Randall, God bless ya, Ron. PS. From the markings, can you make out who made it and year of manufacture?

Hello Ron,

The Mark I was manufactured by the Waltham Watch Company here in the U.S. The company was in operation from 1850 - 1957 when they relocated to Switzerland. The inscriptions stamped into your fuze are EXACTLY the same as the fuze in my collection. They provide no indication as to the year of manufacture.

Best regards,

Randall

The fuze appeared on the 1919 Frankford Arsenal display board for time fuzes. It was still classified at the time, so they had a cute little hinged cover over it. I'm away from home right now and I do not have a photo with me that shows the cover open and the fuze in cut-away, but here are some shots of the board.
When I got the board the lock was missing the key, if anyone knows where I can get a vintage key for a mini Yale padlock it would be a nice touch to complete the board

Attachments

• DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC_0076-1.jpg
    DSC_0076-1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC_0076-2.jpg
    DSC_0076-2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0076-4.jpg
    DSC_0076-4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 52

Hello U.S. Subs,

Your Frankford Arsenal time fuze display board is the most spectacular collection of our WWI era cutaway fuzes I've seen. The Mark I "safe" is simply beyond words, I've never come across anything like it. Congratulations on a fantastic piece of ordnance militaria.

Best regards,

Randall

Last edited:
Thanks Randall, glad you liked it. I got very lucky about 20 years ago; I was put in contact with an old gun-bunny that retired from Ft. Sill in the 1960s after spending much of his career teaching new troops the basics. He had acquired years worth of materials from the schoolhouse, saving them from the trash bin. He didn't figure he had much time left and was getting his affairs in order, so he offered a number of pieces to me at a fair, but significant (for me at the time) sum.
He said that his main objective was to get them to someone that would appreciate and care for them, but that he didn't believe anyone ever fully appreciated anything that was just given to them - thereby the fair price. I've never regretted it. Of the 7 boards I bought from him my favorite is the 1920 Frankford Arsenal, I've attached a photo. JO

Attachments

• DSC_0072.jpg
    DSC_0072.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 76
Mk.1 Mech. Time Fuze (USA)

Hi, just wanted to thank all you guys on the other side of the pond for your help, l really do appreciate the effort. l'd have put that fuze into a 105mm.How and thought no more about it, but now l can put it in my small fuze collection as pride of place - am well pleased. Regards, RonB.

Frankford Arsenal fuze display boards...

Hello U.S.-Subs,

I understand why it's your favorite! The 1919 display is fantastic, but the 1920 board is UNBELIEVABLE. Now I can say that I've actually seen a real PD fuze Mark II, a model 1906 medium caliber BD fuze and a Major caliber & Medium caliber BD fuze Mark III. Between the two, you have a cutaway of every WWI era fuze we used. I REALLY APPRECIATE you sharing these "one of a kind" works of art with the group. Needless to say, your hard earned money 20 years ago turned out to be a GOLDMINE.

Thanks again,

Randall