What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info needed about German bomb Tail Finns

Fjordhouse

Ordnance approved
Hello, i am looking for information regarding German tail fins, i have got a 500 kg German Bomb, normally there are screw holes to screw the Finn unit to the bomb, i have got a bomb that has no screw holes but 4 welding spots, is there any info about that the Germans were welding the tails to the body? is there a picture available? when they were welding has the tail Finn unit holes for the srews or did they used a special Finn unit

The 500kg SC bomb tails are held on by the filling cover plate, the screws are fixed to the end plate, unless you have the 500kg incendiary which had the tails welded on or you could be really lucky and have the 500 kg bomb which was fitted with a parachute and the welds you can see are from the parachute fixing ring ???? Dave

PICT0004.jpgPICT0005.jpgPICT0006.jpg

This is the item not restored, its now ready but i cannot find any info regarding the Tail.

Last edited:
Nice bomb Ben.

Had a quick look through my books and cant find anything other than securing with 16 screws - sorry!!

regards Kev

What' the diameter of the bomb please Ben, it looks like a 250 but pictures are deceiving,,,,, Dave

HPIM7005.jpg Ben i have only ever seen one 500kg and that was with you at Bruce's workshop in Essex a long time ago, it looked exactly like a 250 but just a little fatter, it did not look like BLU97's picture. Dave