What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info Needed Finnish? F1 Grenades SYT-55 Fuzes

Kilroy was Here

I bought a couple of these about a year ago. The seller said they were "captured Russian" F1's re-done by Finland.

The SYT-55 Finnish fuzes appear to be dated '60 and '66? On one grenade body looks like it has a casting mark. The grenade bodies look to me like they could be Russian WW2 F1's.

Have any other members seen or heard of these type F1 Finnish grenades?
Do you think maybe that they were used for practice? I heard the yellow on the fuze handle denotes a practice fuze?

What do you think, Fake? maybe a fantasy grenade someone made in there basement by re-threading the bodies?
They were not expensive, only $35 each, and I think the fuzes are worth at least that for a nice example of a SYT-55.

Opinions....Info??

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P2170001.jpg
    P2170001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 51
  • P2170006.JPG
    P2170006.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 26
  • P2170007.JPG
    P2170007.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 21
  • P2170008.jpg
    P2170008.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
  • P2170009.jpg
    P2170009.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 21
  • P2170011.jpg
    P2170011.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P2170013.jpg
    P2170013.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 26
  • P2170015.jpg
    P2170015.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 42
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 35
Nobody Knows?? Must Be The Most Rare Grenade Ever!

Nobody Knows?? Must Be The Most Rare Grenade Ever.

Is there a Finnish grenade expert out there?

A Real Finnish grenade, or a basement workshop special?

Regards, Steve

Finland used during WW2 F1 grenades but only of French origin and captured Soviet ones, they were not made here and as far as I know neither original ones used after the war.
Those Finnish fuzes are quite easy to get here loose. Also WW2 F1 grenades without fuses are often dug up here. I assume someone has got an idea to make easy money?
Taking a better look at the shells, they look re-painted dug-ups to me. Also the yellow color on fuze spoons tells they have been made for training use and especially those can be picked up at Army training terrains.

Last edited:
Finland used during WW2 F1 grenades but only of French origin and captured Soviet ones, they were not made here and as far as I know neither original ones used after the war.
Those Finnish fuzes are quite easy to get here loose. Also WW2 F1 grenades without fuses are often dug up here. I assume someone has got an idea to make easy money?
Taking a better look at the shells, they look re-painted dug-ups to me. Also the yellow color on fuze spoons tells they have been made for training use and especially those can be picked up at Army training terrains.

OK, thanks for the info. This is what I heard also, that the yellow indicated a fuze used for training.

There were a few of these for sale from the ostfront site here. I got 2 of them. They were advertised as Finnish F1's made from captured WW2 Russian F1 bodies.

I have seen some very poor, rough looking F1 bodies that were similar to these two bodies. I am not too sure these are dug grenades....maybe, but I think just poor casting when you look close at them. I can see some dark grey-black paint under the green on one of them.
The threads are well done and fit the SYT-fuze perfectly. Someone had to remove a lot of metal to re thread these bodies, the SYT threads are much bigger than UZRG or Kovesh fuze.

Maybe they used these for practice? there is no reference you can find?