What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info Needed LP42 9mm Flare Gun Schalldampfer

Kilroy was Here

Hi, does someone have more information on this interesting modified LP-42 silenced 9mm flare gun? It has "HUB schalldampfer and date 1944" hand stamped on the top of barrel. It looks to be 100% original wartime pistol.

What exactly they were these silenced flare guns used for? I think I read somewhere about these maybe being used for taking out sentries quietly. I would like to know more about it, I can find no detailed information or diagrams of this pistol or it uses, quantity made etc. Any info or pics?

What would the "silencer" have looked like. Any pics??
I just bought this pistol, and would possibly like to make a "fake dummy" silencer for display.

The holster is matched to pistol and has same serial number, and also says VGB 257 stamped on the holster strap, and orig. owners name. The holster is very high quality. His initials, "G B" are also on the grip panel of pistol. I think this is rare pistol?. Very interesting rig.

Thanks, Regards, Steve

P>S> I found this....257 V.G.D. - Kdr: Generalmajor Erich Seidel....

Order of battle - Ardennes, Dec 1944 (Wacht am Rhein)

Heeresgruppe B
Kdr: Generalfeldmarschall Walter Model
Chef: General der Infanterie Hans Krebs
SS-Stubaf. Heinrich Springer aide-de-camp to GenFM Model
Units:
III.Flak Korps - Kdr. Generalleutnant Wolfgang Pickert (Aug.2, 1944-Mar.20, 1945
813 Panzer Pionier Kompanie
725 Eisenbahn (RR) Artillerie Abtielung
674 E.Art.Bttr.
688 E.Art.Bttr.
749 E.Art.Bttr.
OKW Reserve
79 V.G.D. - Kdr: Generalmajor Alois Weber
257 V.G.D. - Kdr: Generalmajor Erich Seidel
11 Pz.Div. - Kdr: Generalleutnant Wend von Wietersheim
3 Pz.Gre.Div. - Kdr: Generalleutnant Walter Denkert
6.SS-Gebirgs-Division - Kdr: SS-Gruf.Karl-Heinrich Brenner
10.SS-Panzer-Division - Kdr: SS-Brigf.Heinz Harmel

5.Panzer-Armee
Kdr: General der Panzertruppen Hasso-Eccard von Manteuffel (Sept.9, 1944-Mar.8, 1944)
Chef: Generalmajor Wagner
Units:
9 Flak-Brigade - Kdr: Oberst Paul Schluchtmann - Ia:Hptm.Helmut Graf
1 Flak-Sturm-Regiment
182 Flak-Regiment
Volks-Artillerie-Korps 410
Fuhrer-Begleit-Brigade - Kdr: Oberst Bremer

Attachments

• m42flare4.jpg
    m42flare4.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 62
  • m42flare3.jpg
    m42flare3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 58
  • m42flare2.jpg
    m42flare2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59
  • m42 flare1.jpg
    m42 flare1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 000_2088.jpg
    000_2088.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 000_2090.jpg
    000_2090.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 000_2093.jpg
    000_2093.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 45
Hi Steve,

dunno whether ur taking a piss, but if it's true, I have found some information on a Gunther Billing, a 21 year old lt who served with skorzeny's commando's during the ardennes offensive and who was eventualy captured and shot as a spy, might well explain this rather odd piece of equipment.
Hope this helps..

S.staffordsman

Hi Steve,

dunno whether ur taking a piss, but if it's true, I have found some information on a Gunther Billing, a 21 year old lt who served with skorzeny's commando's during the ardennes offensive and who was eventualy captured and shot as a spy, might well explain this rather odd piece of equipment.
Hope this helps..

S.staffordsman

Hello Marrten, How did you guess, I just got done with morning piss. :wink:

Could this be the same Gunther Billing? The name on holster is spelled "Gunter" not "Gunther" with "H"....... I found this info too:

So great was the confusion caused by Operation Greif that the US Army saw spies and saboteurs everywhere. Perhaps the largest panic was created when a commando team was captured near Aywaille on 17 December. Comprising Unteroffizier Manfred Pernass, Oberfhnrich Gnther Billing, and Gefreiter Wilhelm Schmidt, they were captured when they failed to give the correct password. It was Schmidt who gave credence to a rumour that Skorzeny intended to capture General Eisenhower and his staff. A document outlining Operation Greif's elements of deception (though not its objectives) had earlier been captured by the US 106th Infantry Division near Heckhuscheid, and because Skorzeny was already well-known for rescuing Italian dictator Benito Mussolini (Operation Oak or Unternehmen Eiche) and Operation Panzerfaust, the Americans were more than willing to believe this story and Eisenhower was reportedly unamused by having to spend Christmas 1944 isolated for security reasons.
Pernass, Billing, and Schmidt were given a military trial at Henri-Chapelle, sentenced to death, and executed by a firing squad on 23 December. Thirteen other men were tried and shot at either Henri-Chapelle or Huy

Regards, Steve

Hi Steve,

wouldn't know, but i have seen the name being written with and without the 'h'. It's just a guess, but it's a special piece of equipment, not what you might excpect with an ordinary footsoldier with a volksgrenadier division. But from what I read, the old unit where 'our' Billing came from was a naval unit. Where did you obtain this piece, and would you be able to retrace the steps where it came from?

Best wishes