What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info wanted on CS grenade

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello,
I recently purchased a CS grenade, which I believe to be British?? Looks very 80s style. Can someone tell me weather this is Military or Police or what model they are known as?

The lettering states - Grenade, Anti-Riot Irritant, MK3.

It looked very nice to me and in good condition. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, has anyone got any info on the Echo grenades, naval. I have one which I bought because it was cheap, but I have no idea on what they are used for or who by. I'll post a pic later.
Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• picresized_th_100_1622.jpg
    picresized_th_100_1622.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 66
  • picresized_th_1246063136_100_1623.jpg
    picresized_th_1246063136_100_1623.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 58
  • picresized_th_1246063205_100_1624.jpg
    picresized_th_1246063205_100_1624.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 67
British made !

PW is for the makers "Pains Wessex" who can be found on the internet as makers of "Pyrotechnic" devices, used to be located out at "High post" Salisbury Plain Wiltshire.

Commercial version of a miltary item, mainly for export etc. Pains wessex miltary pyrotechnics divison is now called Pains Wessex Defence or PWD.

Hello,
I recently purchased a CS grenade, which I believe to be British?? Looks very 80s style. Can someone tell me weather this is Military or Police or what model they are known as?

The lettering states - Grenade, Anti-Riot Irritant, MK3.

It looked very nice to me and in good condition. Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, has anyone got any info on the Echo grenades, naval. I have one which I bought because it was cheap, but I have no idea on what they are used for or who by. I'll post a pic later.
Thanks,
Rob
Hi, ''Roller 63'' has answered your question for you. l know the other grenade you are referring to and wondered about this myself, l thought the Navy used a 36 gren. to acknowledge the location of subs when surface hunters are training for the chase. And had assumed the grenades you refer to are part of the launching arrangement for ''ejector seats'' - this is just really a guess based on a couple of things. Ron.

Thanks for that. I assumed it was something do do with submarine hunting/training. Hopefully all will be revealed some day!

I seem to remember that the submarine, (boat), signaling grenade was a charge of 1lb TNT in a rectangular container with usual pin striker ignition, but that was a long time ago now, my memory may need an update!
Cheers,
navyman.