What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information need on U.S. CAPTOR Naval Mine

HAZORD

Premium Member
I'm currently working on reassembling a box of parts to make a dummy CAPTOR mine for a Museum display. I located my request here, since the version I have to work with is the air-dropped configuration as shown in the photos. I'm looking for information regarding the attachment mechanism for the parachute pack, which is the section shown with fins. Any closeup photos of the clamps that hold the parapack on, or exploded diagrams would help immensely

The MK-60 CAPTOR (Encapsulated Torpedo) mine can be dropped from aircraft, fired out of a normal 21 inch torpedo tube, or dropped over the side of a ship. It sinks to the bottom up to 3000 ft. in depth, and waits to hear the sounds of the target that it is programmed to sink. When it detects a target, it fires a MK-46 torpedo at the target.

When deployed by aircraft, the parachute cover is ejected when the arming wire is pulled as it leaves the bomb rack. Once it hits the water, the parachute section is ejected, as the outer door where the torpedo leaves the mine, is under the parapack. So, I'm looking for the details of the mechanism that hold the parapack over the outer door.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Attachments

• 14023_160_1.jpg
    14023_160_1.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Mk60-w.jpg
    Mk60-w.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 35
  • middle.jpg
    middle.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 42
  • full size.jpg
    full size.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 48
I've got at least a couple partial docs, I'll dig them out later this week.

Got nothin' on details; just wanted to note what a wicked-pissah that mine is. Holy Moly! Didn't know there was such a thing.

Rick

Two docs sent to your PM, they are pretty large, let me know if they arrive OK.

I would gueess that it is already there - the Hazord museum of orphaned ordnance.

HazORD,
I bet if you phone NSWC White Oak, that part of Captor should be unclas. and they may send you what you need.
Regards,
John

@John Bartleson, thanks for the lead. Would you have a phone number by any chance?

As an added note, there are enough parts to build 2 or 3 more of these mines for museum display. They are the airdropped version, so if you want to display them as the Navy deployed versions, you can just leave off the extra external hardware. They will be priced in the $3,000.00 per copy range. PM me if you know of any museums that might want one.

Good Morning Haz.
I just learned that the Naval Surface Weapons Center, White Oak, MD was closed in 2007, The Captor was deployed in 1979 it may have been replaced by now. I retired in 84 and there have been some major changes in our Navy. Try Googling the NSWC, Dahlgren, VA. and inquire who has the Captor program, if it still exists.
No idea about a museum for you. Good luck on your quest.
Regards,
John