What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information on this cartridge please? 105x617

Stevepeo

Hi, my dads got a cartridge and thought I'd ask if anyone can shed some light on to what its from. He's had it years and uses it as an umbrella stand. Underneath it's stamped :- 105 x 617 DM4 32 LOS RLB. Cheers

Cool, thanks for that. So it looks like it's from 1965 onwards. I thought it was older. Is there a market for them? What sort of price do they go for?

I have a shell case with exactly the same dimensions,but stamped m115,which is a training round for the M60 Patton tank,at the time they used the same main gun which I believe was also used in the Cheiftain,MBT,
Cheers,
Don,

Like Don says, it was the Royal Ordnance L7 105mm cannon. For awhile it was the main gun of quite a few tanks, including the first gen M1's, Leopard1's, South Korean K1, M48 Patton, Stryker, US MGS, Argentinian TAM, a Chinese tank and the list goes one for another 10 or so vehicles. Probably one of the most successful and widely used tank cannons.

As for a market for them, people will buy them but they are very easy to find. Most are US ones either in steel or brass. Can easily get one for less than 70$.