What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting discovery

I'll allow myself to be most skeptical - the worst case condition in this trial was shrapnel travelling at 1500m/s - this is not a problem with the current state of protective equipment. The problem is bullets/ heavy mass projectiles travelling at high velocity - the current ceramic protection can stop them but do not really success in dissipating terminal ballistic energy - And the residual transmitted energy can kill. Simply that. I remember seeing photographs a couple of years ago of the killing wound of an Israeli soldier killed by a hamas sniper on the border with Gaza: the bullet had struck the ceramic armor inside the kevlar body guard and had just made a superficial injury on the body of the soldier's chest without fully penetrating - but the transmitted energy was such that is caused mortal inner damage.
It is always the key problem that we have been dealing with for years - from helmets impervious to bullets but that may break the neck of the soldier at impact to body armors that stop projectiles but do not succeed to dissipate kinetic energy. there is still a lot of work to be done to find such a material. The present development may be an opening but needs to be tested in real challenging conditions. The fact that it was published as a revolutionary success after trials in non-challenging conditions makes me doubtful.

Quite correct.
According to Mitchell and others (1945), the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water. The skin contains 64% water, muscles and kidneys are 79%, and even the bones are watery: 31%.[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
As anyone dealing with speedboats and wake waves knows, water is a very good transmitter of kinetic energy. And ruptured blood vessels inside the organs kill very quickly.[FONT=&amp][/FONT]