What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting item (Dopp Z. 96 n/A)

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
anyone ever see one of these fuzes without the times marked on the ring? I have images of 2 versions of this fuze, one with the time markings and this one without.

The engraved markings are from the museum and are not original.

The other picture is of the markings found on the other side.

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-ML-49-10.jpg
    ICE-ML-49-10.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 44
  • ICE-ML-49-11.jpg
    ICE-ML-49-11.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42
  • ICE-ML-49-1.jpg
    ICE-ML-49-1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36
It seems like someone removed a complete layer of the fuze with a lathe,
because it is either not production ready judging by the surface or it had
some work done to it at a later stage.

This might explain the lack of time marks and the some what vague letters
at the top. But, I might be completely wrong. Never seen one without the
time stamps that makes me perhaps a bit suspicious.

Cheers, Jan

Perhaps this originally was a training fuze as there is a stamp "Bl" - Blind = inert, therefore no delay time gradiation was necessary??

interesting

Thanks, didn't know abou the Bl marking. Although it would make sense if this was just a training fuze (kind of a dummy version).

Joe

It is just a guess - I don't know it for sure, but it could make sense. Stripping the fuze in bits and pieces and study the internals might bring more light in darkness.

If it was an official German exercise fuze, I would expect to see something like 'EX' (exerciren=exercise) or 'bung'.

Cheers, Jan

In German ordnance items exist different variations of markings for dummy items;
-Ex, I think just for dummy handling practice items.
-b, for shootable training rounds - may contain a small charge.
-Bl, for totally inert shootable projectiles.

I can't say it for sure but think the different markings depend on type of ordnance in question.