What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Japanese Type 98

batonroundcollector

Premium Member
Never seen this variant before... What's with the protrusion from the 'head'?

ONSV23NAS102__02.jpg

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...-and-pull-string-inert?variant=40580517986373

Thanks George! No, I can't imagine purpose of the wooden plug either - looking at the photos it doesn't appear to extend to the outside as it appears in the diagram, as would be expected if it was a filler plug (assume head was filled from below before being fixed to stick anyways)...

Maybe they considered the use of an impact fuze ?

A percussion fuze (rather than an Allways-type impact fuze), given position of the possible housing (where plug is shown)? I thought about this, but then grenade would need some mechanism to ensure it always fell head-down - a streamer, drogue etc, right?

Last edited:
Marc, maybe the grenade casing is an unused old stock component that was originally made for an earlier type of impact grenade, and was then utilised to make the B variant of the Type 98. Just a guess, but seems plausible.

These images are 1907 and 1918.

IMG_6006.jpegIMG_6007.jpegIMG_6008.jpeg

Thanks George, I'd just reached the same conclusion myself after viewing the archived Lexpev site :) The earlier grenade was the 'Taisho 7' - it looks like unfinished heads (with impact fuze housing not yet bored out) were later fitted to sticks for Type 98 as to all intents a purposes they are similar to usual head for that grenade. I did though wonder about the effectiveness of these grenades given their thick cast iron bodies with no serrations either outside or in to aid fragmentation; if they were instead intended for blast effect, why not a thin body like the Stielhandgranate?