What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting piece

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Museum states this is a British Bomb fuze. Any ideas if this is right / what kind /and where I can find documentation?

And if nothing else ... nice pics to share.

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-268-3.jpg
    ICE-JV-268-3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 122
  • ICE-JV-268-9.jpg
    ICE-JV-268-9.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 101
  • ICE-JV-268-8.jpg
    ICE-JV-268-8.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 82
  • ICE-JV-268-4.jpg
    ICE-JV-268-4.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 82
Its not a British bomb fuze , it looks more Artillery fuze , manufactured by Vickers

Thanks

Thats what we thought here. But couldn't find anything one way or the other.

Joe

Cant find out anyhing in the Treatise of ammunition 1915 or 1936 , looking at the picture it appears to a No 80 type fuze with an extention piece added , but for what purpose ! to explode just above the ground / target ?

Interesting

And to make it more interesting is the timing ring. If it was a PD type fuze I could see the extention for above ground burst or milli-second delay, however it looks to be timed. Also that extention has a ring in the front for possible arming?

Joe

Hi Joe
It could be a stock fuze , rather than produce a special , they used a common fuze around at the time its cheaper

Hummm

Thanks, You could be right and given the lack of markings there is really no way of telling. I found it especially interesting the det / booster hole in the base. Not much of a size there. If anyone finds out anything please let me know.

Joe

Hi
I think the ring in the front is the arming/safety pin.
It does look like an No80 or 85 base.

Demolition charge.

When visiting the forts in Jersey one of the larger forts had some 21.cm HE shells suspended by a cable some ten feet from the top along the outer walls, these shells were fitted with a modified Fuze that was connected to another shorter line going to a safety pin, when the supposed enemy got near some poor soldier would cut the suspension cable thus dropping the shell until the shorter cable pulled out the safety pin with a resulting detonation.

I wonder if that is what is shown here but with a subtle difference-a delay has been added ?

interesting

Observations; on the base does the 22 refer to the delay as the setting ring goes to 22 seconds? But if you look the fuze is set at safe by the ring positions so why have the extra safety cross pin or is it belt and braces. Surely to set the time ring would be an un nescessary delay in preparing the booby trap. The /24 looks like the year of manufacture, was there a similar product for WWI? or WWII? 2pr

Hi Chris the fort was Ft Orguel if i remember correctly, they were French shells with a modified fuze adaptor to fit a ZZ35 , called Roll bombs in Guernsey , they were suspended from cliff tops

Hello,
as much as I know of, there has been some modified artillery fuzes made in the 20's for illum. and cluster bombs by adding a modified tip assembly to regular artillery fuzes. The loop on top was attached to a lanyard to the plane. There was an additional safety ring in-between (there are still some remains of it to see on the image.) Pulling the lanyard after the safety pin was released will disengage a cocked striker system which fires the primer activating the time ring compound.
Mrfuze, USA

More info

Not sure I can add anything of immediate value other than pictures of the one I have. This is a range relic, but earlier than the one Joe shows in his picturesThe fuze is a no 80 Mk XI with the cap replaced with an extension piece. I have also added a picture of what is inside the nose extension and the size of hole at the tip.

One thing that may be helpful is the RL number on this piece - 29541. Can you identify from this Norman/Erhard?

The brass ring that the fuze is sitting in looks original to the fuze but I don't recognise it as part of a shell of bomb.

BD

Attachments

• 80 ex.jpg
    80 ex.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 80 ex1.jpg
    80 ex1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 80 ex2.jpg
    80 ex2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 36
Missing items !

Hi Chris the fort was Ft Orguel if i remember correctly, they were French shells with a modified fuze adaptor to fit a ZZ35 , called Roll bombs in Guernsey , they were suspended from cliff tops

Yes Steve you are spot on !

I recall having no camera :tinysmile_cry_t2: and always said we would go back there only to find they had all been removed for "renovation" work.
I do remember that all three had no driving bands.