What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting video

Looks like some pretty effective material.

I've also seen other videos from Syria where these subs are dropped, burn, then explode. Would be interesting to find out what these are. I don't think I've seen this before.

Joe, Shaky likely means the late variants of the ZAB-2.5 which do exist in 3 variants. One of them being incendiary with a secondary HE charge which is set off after some burning time. I think we had these here before not too long ago.

Last edited:
I know ...

I was just looking through some of the Syria videos to see whats out there and thought these were interesting, especially for anyone that follows submunitions. Some nice close ups showing the types.

Joe

took those other tankers a while to get out of dodge - remember when I was in armor in VN if another tank or APC got hit with a RPG we laid down a wall of steel with out cannister rounds and machine guns, but then we also moved to a new position - I've seen tanks go up like the vids shows up close it ain't pretty

That's an example of the danger of modern caseless ammunition. If one charge is set off, all the other ones around are ignited almost instantly. Nobody lives through that fire.

We need to specify that this is the danger of combustible cases + autoloader (= Russian system) where the rounds are not inside single compartments which are sealed like in western 120mm systems. This crew could have survived in a western designed tank + the vehicle could have recovered and rapaired maybe.
One of the problems in the east was/is that soldiers are considered to be expendable as they have enough "resources". A sad doctrine which will change somewhen I hope...

few years before I retired I was part of a team testing the M1 survivability. The test fired HEAT, HEP and AP at fullu up loaded tanks. I can say the HEAT din't do so well, and HEP was useless. But one of the APDSFS rounds that was fired at it hit the ammo compartment and a number of the rounds went high order, I doubt if the crew couold have survived. The caliber and country the roound was from is still classified as far as I know.

This all reminds me, what ever happened with the M1 that got hit by some form of RPG in Iraq? Was the weapon used ever determined?

Mike, a direct hit into into a HE round of course is beyond discussion as for the effect.

The Iraq M1 (lower hull hit) issue was a Russian tandem HEAT if I recall it right.

Didn't the M1 have blow out panels in the rear ammo compartment (it's top side) for in case the ammo starts burning? They claimed that when it happens it would have no effect for the interior of the vehicle. There was somewhere a video on that but I do not recall the details.

you're right about how the compartment is designed, but there is still alot of over pressure, I wish I had pictures of the test = you'd be surprised at what the crew comparment looked like, spalling and lot of burn marks