What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iron cross

navyman

Hello,
I recently bought an Iron cross which is seriously rusty, and I'm concerned that the rust which is active will destroy the iron completely. Can anyone let me know if I can stop the rot using Hamerite Kurust? The picture shows it alongside a fake one.
best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• Iron cross 1.jpg
    Iron cross 1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 65
I find it a bit odd that it is rusting like that Navyman,the Iron part of the cross should encased in a thin silver outer sheet,which used to be a way of telling genuine I C's as you could feel the iron cross moving inside the sheet silver when you shook it.

Tony

I find it a bit odd that it is rusting like that Navyman,the Iron part of the cross should encased in a thin silver outer sheet,which used to be a way of telling genuine I C's as you could feel the iron cross moving inside the sheet silver when you shook it.

Tony

Hello Tony,
I'm afraid that the the medal is so corroded that the iron part has blistered up and there's no way it could move about. Also it's become so thin that with a powerful lamp I could just see a tiny glimmer of light smaller than than a needle hole. After talking to some boat owners they said Kurust would be OK and as I had some in my workroom I decided to use it. I used a tiny brush and it looks as though it's OK, can't see the glimmer any more.
all best,
Guy.

Attachments

• Iron cross 2.jpg
    Iron cross 2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
Hello,
I dont think the Vicky medal is of any interest, I only put it there to fill a space. found it in a button box, a lot of things seem to found in Grandma's box. It's a commemorative medal, to "give a loving welcome to the Queen, by the children of Bristol, on Durdham Down" Gives the name of the lord mayor, and is dated November 15 1899. My guess is that it may have been to celebrate the opening of a childrens hospital?
If anyone can put me right on it I'd be pleased to hear from them.
All best,
Guy.