What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is ordance collecting a dying hoby in the younger face book genaration ?

I am alive and well. Being a born collector, I have always had a mild interested in WW2 stuff. However, since retirement and giving up my car I have moved my hobby up to obsessive levels. And it's funded from the saving of not running a car. The hunting is obviously a significant part of the fun, especially trips to fairs. I never know when I will return with a rucksack loaded with stuff and a somewhat lighter wallet. The kind of thing that seems to give me an unusual amount of pleasure is to bring back a lump of rusty iron, clean it up, do a little research, and then discover that it really is a part of a Panzer IV, or whatever. And yes, I am sure I have on occasions paid too much for something, but I have to count that as part of my education. Non-collectors think we're a bunch of sad weirdos; this is obviously propaganda put out by the business community because they think we ought to spend our cash on new cars, furniture, clothes, etc. If you could buy ordnance off the shelf in Marks & Spencer's, say, there would be no point.

T.

Hello exat808,
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. After the war my late Uncle was a local 'Beat Bobby' until his retirement. He was happy to keep an eye on his Manor, knew who was up to what, and travelled everywhere on his black bicycle. He also gave me my first air pistol and taught me the importance of safety.
Best regards,
navyman.

hi all thanks for the contrbutions i recived on tis subject after reading all the answers i still think that alough pepol in our circle aew VERY ceen on ordance a typical 15 year old in todays society who was given a pice of ordance would proboly sell it to buy a ps3 game and not truly unerstand the historical value this vew is not of all teenagers just a good majoroty and im mot saying its a bad thing they just dont understand or care about the historial importance of most of these older hobbies !

hi all thanks for the contrbutions i recived on tis subject after reading all the answers i still think that alough pepol in our circle aew VERY ceen on ordance a typical 15 year old in todays society who was given a pice of ordance would proboly sell it to buy a ps3 game and not truly unerstand the historical value this vew is not of all teenagers just a good majoroty and im mot saying its a bad thing they just dont understand or care about the historial importance of most of these older hobbies !

Hello mate
interesting question.
'is collecting ordnance dying?'.
I dont know really,I think alot of people have had to tighten the purse strings.
I also believe certain collectors/dealers are controlling the market buying up vast amounts of stuff and then commanding what ever price they want,thats what is damaging our hobby the most.

I dont buy anything now.I'm lucky I have family in Belgium so i get stuff given to me that has come from the ground or as a gift.
Ive seen some crazy prices for stuff folk buy that seem to have more money than sense and all it does is push the prices higher.
I'm not stupid,i wont be taken for a mug.
The amount of ordnance that keeps surfacing,will keep the likes of me happy for years...but i have seen some silly prices for relics too!

Regards and HAPPY COLLECTING.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Last edited by a moderator: