What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is ordnance attractive to theives?

........ and not Krappelappeldingdong then i shall be fit for duty! :p

cheers

waffy

Is this by any chance a reference to Ben's infamous concoction Waff ??
.....from what I have heard its enough to knock anyone out!!!

regards
Kev

Is this by any chance a reference to Ben's infamous concoction Waff ??
.....from what I have heard its enough to knock anyone out!!!

regards
Kev

Its this stuff Kev he brought from Germany.
not to be abused..the very thought of it makes me want to honk!:tinysmile_cry_t4:

best

waff

Attachments

• death stuff.jpg
    death stuff.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi folks
Following Foubars posting about smart water, I was wondering, is ordnance attractive to burglars? Has anyone experience of this?

I would assume that the average burglar wouldnt appreciate the financial value of shells but he might steal stuff to order if he knows that you have it.

In the event of a theft, would you tell the police, considering how they seem to treat collectors these days.

Fred

Hi Fred
My opinion is that anything that might look expensive or unusual is fair game to a thief.
If a would- be burglar finds out that there is someone that has loads of military gear AND possibly deactivated guns,then they might be very interested.
I supose the best thing to do is to use smart water on stuff,have restricted access to the rear of your property,decent locks,have an alarm and or a big dog,and maybe keep things away from windows if someone was to look through your window.
Automatic timers are good too,as they can be programmed to turn a lamp on and off at intervals if your out.
Prevention is better than cure.
Ive been robbed years ago.
I had just returned froom my Grandads funeral to find i had been broken into,they took everything including the small amount of old fishing rods my Grandad had left me.
I was devastated.
If only i had done some of basic things to make my place more secure.
Thats why i try and do as much as possible.

Regards

Foubar

INSURANCE

Whilst on this thread of "Is Ordnance Attractive To Thieves?" - I'm just wondering if anyone has actually declared their collection to their insurers, and if so what response did they get? Having seen photos of some of the collections out there I'm guessing that there many of you have invested heavily in your hobby. Anyone actually managed to declare a collection on an insurance policy?

If you could find an insurance company that would cover ordnance I am afraid the cost would be prohibitive. I also collect cloth shoulder and pocket insignia which can be very costly and quite easy to carry away. After thorough investigation it was clear that insurance (at least in the U.S.) was simply not cost effective. The premiums paid would equal the total value of the insured items every 14 years and the policy had to list EACH AND EVERY item to be covered. (3,500 patches, each photographed with a specific value listed?) This would mean ammending the policy with every new aquisition, an almost impossible task. Pat

I do show a few individuals my collection. When the guys are over for a few beers they really like looking at the stuff. Oh you know ordnance is pretty much a guy thing anyway. Of course I let them know if they take anything I will rip off their head and crap in their neck..Dano

Just a thought ,but the scrap value alone could make some collections of interest to the dodgy types!

INSURANCE

Whilst on this thread of "Is Ordnance Attractive To Thieves?" - I'm just wondering if anyone has actually declared their collection to their insurers, and if so what response did they get? Having seen photos of some of the collections out there I'm guessing that there many of you have invested heavily in your hobby. Anyone actually managed to declare a collection on an insurance policy?
Yes, I declare my collection on my policy - not in detail (that would run to many pages) just as a "cartridge collection, total value X". It adds quite a bit to the premium...

As a licensed collector, my collection is also known to the police who visit every few years to take a look at it and at my security arrangements (which include laminated double glazing with window locks, high-security door locking, an alarm and a security light).

I don't publicise exactly where I live - I put a PO Box number on my cards and on the ECRA Bulletin - or show people my collection (except via photos on the net), and I make sure that nothing is visible to anyone just looking into a window.

Last edited:
Someone once told me that if you had a $million dollars stash out in the backyard dilapidated shed, you wouldn't require any security at all, as no one will know about it, & it would be "secure" as it wouldn't draw any interest nor unwanted attention.....the point here I'm alluring to it that the stashed $million dollars is only know to one person.....you!

Now back to "Reality", the "Collector" (i.e. us!) is a unique species, which is highly motivated and normally suffers from "tunnel vision" (mostly from scanning Fleabay, Militaria Website, etc for the elusive bargain(s) & the occasional Playboy Mag, and in the process, neglects all other day-to-day responsibilities), but worst still, has an inherent urge to "share" their findings with all /any who displays the slighted minuscule interest towards the Collector's interest (why are we all on this forum?) So as the word gets out (which also has it (+)ve effects i.e. meeting other Collectors), then the security *RISK* increases.....

Throw into the equation that Ordnance is a rather "unsocial" theme viewed from the Public in general, frown upon by the authorities which results in "unworkable" legistration, 911, and the domino effect goes on...look at the latest Australian Customs import Bull$%$ policy!!! Unfortunately we are in the same league as shooters and gun collectors which has further complications if for example an AVO (wrongly or rightly) is issued against the Gun Owner and Prohibited Weapons Collector. The police will come and confiscate your weapons until one has been "exonerated" by the courts.

So do we stay in our isolated Man Caves and enjoy our collecting spoils with 3 very important people (me / myself / & I)? or do we venture out and share our knowledge and enjoyment with our fellow inspired Collectors?

I guess the answer comes down to "common sense" (which unfortunately is quite rare today!) A "happy medium" need to be reached for us all to remains sane - share to a degree where our security remains high! They say that it takes approx. 90 seconds to "sum" up a stranger upon meeting them, perhaps a little longer via email correspondence etc. You'll will normally get a "gut instinct" which will warn you as to what amount of information is broadcast and the other person's intention. Listen to it, it actually got me out of many "interesting situations" when I was backpacking /bumming around the world many years ago for 2yrs. It is not bullet proof, but then nothing is.

So as echoed already, take a common sense approach when dealing with new Collectors, listen to your "gut feeelings" and have some level of physical security established in your home to enjoy a good night sleep!

Happy Collecting!!

Cheers
Drew

BTW - Don't use the back shed! :tinysmile_tongue_t:

It really depends on what a thief or burglar thinks they can sell on or scrap. Laptops are still popular with some of them - steal one worth 300 and get maybe 50 for it - they don't care. The average value of items stolen in a house burglary in UK is about 1,200 - 1,400. If you claim on insurance the insurers will charge you an excess and many then push up the premiums for the next few years to recoup what they pay out to the victims of burglary. Metal thefts are very prevalent in my part of the world, sometimes they steal enough to fill a small lorry. A drug addiction is often the driving motivation. I believe that very few people are forced into taking drugs, most do so because they want to. Their choice but what an effect on society! Buy drugs and you will fund the Taleban into killing decent and innocent people, grease the wheels of prostitution and people trafficking and fund other areas of organised crime. Back to the original point and the bottom line is that if someone wants to get into your house it would be difficult to stop them. But that doesn't mean you can't shake them warmly by the throat (until the police arrive to give them a bed for the night). In my opinion.

INSURANCE

I have stuff insured,collection as a whole.
Not a massive ammount of monies worth,but that doesnt really matter.

I also have a ak74 and G36 and a glock(legal and safe) insured and the local police station know whats in my house.
(I take great care in not leaving gun related stuff like this behind doors or on display, its kept secure).

Most of my stuff is on my house contents policy.
Interesting thread.
Ive noticed some collectors dont see an issue with security,maybe its because we all live in diffrent areas of the world with diffrent levels of crime.

Sadly , I know that where I live in the uk,some folk would rob you blind for anything that might raise a few quid and their not scared of causing unessesary damage to anything in their way.

[I also have a ak74 and G36 and a glock(legal and safe) insured and the local police station know whats in my house.
(I take great care in not leaving gun related stuff like this behind doors or on display, its kept secure).

Are these Deacs or live ones? If live, why do you need them?

Andy

[I also have a ak74 and G36 and a glock(legal and safe) insured and the local police station know whats in my house.

Are these Deacs or live ones? If live, why do you need them?

Andy

Andy
sometimes we get problems with a few mice,and the g36c deals with them ok but there is little over penetration!
It was a real swine getting a cert for them in the uk,the glock is fully auto too!:bigsmile:

No mate,there just replicas used for war gaming/paintball type of activity,but thats another subject.
Iwas just making a point of being responsible an being carefull not to attract theives...
cheers