What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there any interest in re-banded 3 Pounder projectiles?

Falcon

I have access to a quantity of 3 Pounder projectiles which are missing their driving bands.

I have access to the necessary equipment for crimping replacement driving bands onto these projectiles.

Would anyone be interested in any of these projectiles?

They are all solid practise shot threaded for a tracer element. All have 1945 dates. They have some minor pitting but no serious corrosion.

I have attached a photo of an trial one which I did in aluminium.

Reply to this thread if you are interested.

3pounder2.jpg

I am planning to do them in copper, the aluminium was just a trial run with some spare metal. I was asking if anyone was interested before I bought any copper. I am trying to locate some suitable sized copper but it seems to be difficult (and expensive) to get.

Unfortunately, I doubt I would be able to ship them to the USA. I believe they are classed as destructive devices under your law. I definitely don't want to be extradited on arms dealing charges.

Hello Falcon,
Interesting...i actually have 2 or 3 similar (unbanded) 6Pr projectiles.
But i would be keen to get a rebanded one or two.
I live in New Zealand and there will be no problem at this end with inert projectiles.
However the problem is that Royal Mail x-ray all air parcels out of the UK and these projectiles are too heavy to go by surface.
So it would be a question of courier...perhaps this already sounds too complicated?
Anyway, please let me know
Thanks, Charley

I am currently unsure of price as I am still researching the price of the metal. I will let everyone know once I have found a source for the metal.

Hi Falcon,
You have done a really nice job there, they will look great with a copper band. I am sure there will be plenty of interest,
Best regards Weasel.

Here is a copper one that I did. Once I have the copper in a suitable quantity, I can start doing them. The price will be 30 each.

rebanded_3pr.jpg

Hey Falcon

Fine job. Is this a "solid" copper band, or an overlay, like you mentioned? Regardless, looks right proper.

Rick

That is a solid copper band. That was done with a short piece of 2 1/4" OD pipe with walls around 1/8" thick that someone I know found. It squashed down to the size of the groove (44mm) with no problems.

The band looks shiny in that photo, but now (two weeks later) it has dulled down a long way, which in my opinion looks a lot better. Handling the projectile has helped get a natural looking patina on the band.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I now have the copper so I can start getting these done. Post here if you want one or more of these.