What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a .303 Vickers belt? I think not!

hicky1300

Hi all
As mentioned on another thread a while ago I have this part of a canvas belt that I thought was a .303 vickers one.
Not so sure now!!!:eek:oh:
I have notiiced a couple of discrepancies. Firstly the metal tangs are steel & not bass also every 5th one or so should be wider than the canvas part at one end.
It is in poor condition & about 34 inches long but still hold 303 rounds well
any ideas?
Cheers

Attachments

• DCP01974.JPG
    DCP01974.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 60
if you are lucky

It will be for the German Parabellum Obsever's MG. But I'm not going to stake my career on it.

Belt

I agree with George, it could be the belt for the Parabellum aircraft MG. My only reservation is that the Parabellum belt usually only has two rivets between each pocket, not three.

The Parabellum belt will work in a Maxim, but not the other way round. If it is that, then it will date from WWI and of course accept 7.92mm rounds.

It could also be a British Wardroper belt, developed in the 1920s which had the three rivets between each pocket, but did not have the finger every third round. Without the feed tab it is difficult to be sure.

Regards
TonyE