What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a 8.8CM U-boat Round?

CPCOrd

I am not an ordnance collector but stumble across items now and then. Is the small round in front a U-boat round? I read the FAQ's but could not find a size limit on photos so I made this one rather small to fit.. less than 150k..

CPC8.8CM-U-boat-shells.jpg

Here are 2 additional pictures to help identify the round. Would like to know what type of U-boat it was used on and when?

8.8CM--btm-shell-and-case-U.jpg8.8CM-Shell-and-case--U-boa.jpg

Your projectile is the WWII style, not the short WWI version. Have you tried googling U-boat to review the different models and which ones mounted an 8.8cm gun?

I am not an ordnance collector but stumble across items now and then. Is the small round in front a U-boat round? I read the FAQ's but could not find a size limit on photos so I made this one rather small to fit.. less than 150k..

CPCView attachment 62219
Nice bullets, for someone who doesn't collect ordnance you're doing a fine job of stumbling across them.
Dave.

Roger that... the ordnance I collect are US rifle and hand grenades. These are from an old collection. The guy decided to liquidate all of his stuff and I'm helping with these items from his collection to go along with some of the US stuff I really wanted. My father was a WWII tanker so I'll probably keep the Tiger round. I really didn't know what they all were and I let the others go to some fellow collectors at very reasonable prices .. now they owe me.. a HE Mark IV round, AP MKIII, and a Panther V AP round... everyone is happy but I could have done a lot better for the gent.... hence I'm now here gathering more info...

Your projectile is the WWII style, not the short WWI version. Have you tried googling U-boat to review the different models and which ones mounted an 8.8cm gun?

Yes, thanks.. I have learned a lot about the boats as well as the mounted guns, type VII's, etc, but it is always nice when a guru tells you what you really have. For example there are some u-boat rounds on this forum but they have different casings, etc, as well as different projectiles. Most articles on the web are rather generic and do not go into great depth on the detail of the rounds themselves... I guess because I do not collect this particular type of round I'm being sort of lazy and asking the pros for advice... I hope this helps..

Not to forget that this caliber was not a soleyly used with submarines.
Yes, thanks as other forum members have informed me of that too. While the round is not perfect it does have M inspection stamps on the shell. The base is corroded in the stamp area and it may not be M stamped... Wa instead but it is too hard for me to tell. While that does not prove anything it at least demonstrates that a portion of it was Navy marked and that helps. Thank you and all for the assistance. If anyone else would like to see pics or provide information I would appreciate it.

The "M" standing for navy, is correct here since it was the only service using this caliber.

We need to mention though that an acceptance stamp does not indicate the use of the stamped item in this service. So there is ammo for ground forces with navy acceptance marks as well as other combinations. The sole reason for this mix is the acceptance and inspection officer which was allocated to a factory. So if the officer in a factory was a navy man he was using his navy stamp on regardless what ammo was made at the particular factory.

Your round is an SK/C35 Sprenggrante. It looks to have a EK Zdr(EmpfindlichKlappensicherrungZunder) C28 fuse. Its case demensions are 88x390R.