What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a Bofors 40mm round?

Meerkat

I am reliably informed that the item shown in the attached photos is the remnants of a 40mm Bofors round, probably some sort of drill round or dummy. The item measures 3 1/8" long and 1 1/2" wide (40mm), 45cm long in total ish, base 62mm wide or 2 3/8"

I have searched the forum and found references to 40mm Bofors 'woooden rounds', but apart from confirmation that the images show such a round, I am curious as to why wood was used for the body of these rounds? Was it to save brass for live rounds?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Regards

Meerkat

Attachments

• DSCF0382.jpg
    DSCF0382.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCF0383.jpg
    DSCF0383.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF0384.jpg
    DSCF0384.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0385.jpg
    DSCF0385.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0386.jpg
    DSCF0386.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF0387.jpg
    DSCF0387.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0388.jpg
    DSCF0388.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0389.jpg
    DSCF0389.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0390.jpg
    DSCF0390.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 27
The rim of the remnants of your drill round appears to be 40mm L/60 bofors. Designers use wood, as it is usually plentiful, easy to turn, lightweight, and won't damage metal gun parts. Combined with a steel core, the lighter wood approximates the weigh of a service round. Its much cheaper and less strategic than using brass or bronze, which was in short supply and needed for other things. It is also visually distinguishable from a brass cased service round, so they aren't confused during drills and actual firing.

Last edited:
Wood was used for drill rounds in various calibres. The biggest I've seen was for the 120mm MOBAT recoilless anti-tank gun - that was quite a tree-trunk!

Last edited:
40mm Bofors Drill and High Explosive Rounds.

Hi there, Heres two Bofors rounds i have! One is the drill round only with brass case and black steel projectile and no wood parts. As far as i can remember this was brought back from Malaya by an instructor who was using it as a doorstop before he gave it to me. The other round is a 1943 dated complete unfired (deactivated) High Explosive Bofors round. The H.E i got from local shop for a tenner, but noticed at J.C Militaria he was selling one for 120!!!!! They do make great display rounds! Regards, Tim.

Last edited: