What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a propper Mills gren box?

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

got this today. Its a box measuring aprox 21''x11''x11''[inc cleats] marked up:

5/PT/69
GRENADE HAND NO 36
MK1/-L. EMPTY 9/72
QTY 16.
SKC 3 66 on the side

Cannot read the rest .

Inside there is a frame with 8 holes to support 8 tubes.

Quite a heavy duty box with rope carry handles.

Is this the 'real deal'?

Andy

Attachments

• Big No 36 box 1.jpg
    Big No 36 box 1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Big no 36 box 2.jpg
    Big no 36 box 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Big No 36 box 3.jpg
    Big No 36 box 3.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 79
  • Big mills box 4.jpg
    Big mills box 4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 80
  • Big mills box 5.jpg
    Big mills box 5.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 92
Andy,

It is not part of the operational packaging but was used to store empty (WMR) grenades. You will probably know that two grenades each sealed in a waterproof bag were fitted into a cylinder and the cylinders fitted into the box. I suspect there were several options for boxes. I also suspect they are less common than the operational packaging.

[thanks to Snufkin for some of this]

Is there anything stamped in the base? I suspect it is an L series box (ie L2A1, but its not an L2 :))

Thanks Norman & Paul,

certainly a well made box, metal straps at each corner. The question is what to do with it? Tom has a few interesting ideas!!!

Lcpl C, there are no markings inside, its been semi lined to take the tubes but on the outside underneath its stamped H64 MK 11. Does that have any meaning for you? I assume it held a couple of .762 ammo boxes?

Andy

Its an H.64 mk II :D

Previous to this, Mills bombs were kept in a G.36

Last edited:
I believe there's one of these boxes for sale on SA at the moment for 175.
A lot of dosh for an H64 Mk11 ammo box and the wording with the listing just isnt true either.

Andy

I bought a really nice 51mm Illumination Mortar round box at the weekend for 5. Very similar to this one.

John

Last edited:
Box,

Hi All, been researching or trying to find info on said boxes as i had my doubts, its just that I bought 6 complete boxes of these from the guy selling the crate on SA, I didnt take that last case as it was the only one painted out, and he did tell me he was going to keep a case back for himself, I also bought the grenades as well, they all came 2 in a tin , 5 crates was all mint ROF Patricroft and dated 1969 and one case 1970, 12 grenades to a case, and heres the curve ball, one can in each with 12 Mk2 discharge plates with the larger threaded steel base plugs all dated 1944 and marked TA&S, and a detonator can with 12 drilled practice fuses.
I was shown the receipt and Import papers, which all indicated they was imported from Holland, I also bought a case of Mint No69s still wrapped up nicely in straw and with its double ended det pot.Im a lucky but extremely broke collector.
(BTW Has anyone seen the question about the case on SA, I PML when I read his reply, my guess is hes inviting you to buy his remaining Grenades "off" SA and someones had a right sound off, I think its a CASE (no pun intended) of the green eyed monster attacks)

5 crates was all mint ROF Patricroft and dated 1969 and one case 1970, 12 grenades to a case, and heres the curve ball, one can in each with 12 Mk2 discharge plates with the larger threaded steel base plugs all dated 1944 and marked TA&S, and a detonator can with 12 drilled practice fuses.

Hi Andrew,

I for one would appreciate seeing a photo of all 60 1969 Mills lined up, or even in a neat pile. Certainly at least one photo of a few of the 1969 dated base plugs together, with the dates clearly visible. I’d also be grateful to see a picture of the x12 detonator tin with contents that came in one of the metal tubes. Many thanks.

I too would love to see them, it would be quite a coup for the forum to see such a lot of late Mills grens in one place and to have such a picture in the album section.
How about it Andy?

Here are some of my 1972 36s in a Mills box. They are still in their plastic bags with the tape over the filler hole.
I know, i know, the box is wrong for the type of gren, its a WW1 repro 36 box but hey, they look good.
Certainly better than the manky old box they came in.
Your turn Andy.

Andy

Attachments

• 1972 grens in box.jpg
    1972 grens in box.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 24