What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this grenade round "correct"?

charley777

Can anyone please tell me if this round is OK? Cannot recall seeing one with such a short projectile..... Thanks

isit correct1.JPGisit correct2.JPG

The number stamped on it appears to be M385, which is the standard HV target-practice round for the MK19 and other automatic GLs. However, you are right that it is too short - there should be almost as much below the driving band as above it. Since it is supposed to be a solid lump of aluminium, I can only assume that someone sawed it in half for some reason, unless a two-piece variant came out later.

A photo of a M385E4,projectile,a rather poorly one but you can see how much of it missing

TonyPA110001.jpg

It seems to have FFE and other letters engraved on it. That would tell anyone looking at it that it is inert. The round has been cut in half to make sure it can't be reused ?

They are inert projectiles,even unfired ones,don't even have a tracer element in them,as Tony Williams says a solid lump of Aluminium with a copper drive band on them....so a case of mega overkill on the FFE front:xd:

One thought though they are made of a very high grade alloy,which is why they rot so quick,so possible the bottom half got used for a project on a lath ect?

Last edited:
Thanks very much

Yes i had my suspicions....thanks for confirming....glad i didn't bid LOL
Looked interesting but "wrong"