What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Israeli Nose Fuze Plug?

Evo99

Ordnance approved
Grateful if anyone can positively ID what is assumed to be an Israeli nose fuze plug.P1020160.jpgP1020156.jpgP1020163.jpg

Attachments

• P1020158.jpg
    P1020158.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P1020162.jpg
    P1020162.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 22
No markings - but found where the Israelis have been active (two separate locations/countries) - could it be a nose plug for tail fuzed JDAM?

Hi, this is a nose plug for Mk 80 series bombs, witnessed to be used in Lebanon 2006 and in Gaza 2008/09. The plug was screwed onto bombs being equipped with a tail fuze which could be set to delay. If I recall it correctly both israeli and us-made fuzes were used on the bombs. The plug used on the bomb-body which was part of a guided bomb unit looks slightly different. If I find the time and figure out the how-to I'll upload some pictures here soon.

right, found the pictures and realized we never found a bomb in Lebanon with the plug still connected to the bomb.
Considering the rather short thread on the plug the constant shearing off upon impact, this does not come as a surprise.
The first three pictures from the right show a Mk 82 after impact in Gaza. The nose plug is used in connection with a guidance unit, which was apparently gone when we got there. Note the long thread on the plug after removal.
The fourth picture shows the nose of a Mk83 in Lebanon, literally all the UXB I have seen there looked the same, as I cannot recall to have found a single bomb with a nose fuze. They may have been used, though (Bomb, HE, Mk12 Mod4).
Pictures 5 and 6 do show the two main types of tail fuzes used there. Whenever we found a bomb with those tail fuzes then the nose fuze well was empty, with the plug usually being somewhere nearby. That's how we figured it out.
I am truly sorry I do not have a picture with the plug still being connected to the bomb, you will just have to take my word for it.
Hope this helps.

DSC_2848.jpgDSC_2874.jpgDSC_2878.jpgPICT5726.jpgPICT5729.jpgPICT5737.jpg

Metal Nose Plug Lebanon 2007.jpg

Sorry Fusse 2004 - definitive proof it is from a Bomb.

Last edited: