What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 20x138B

smle2009

Hi to all,
can anyone point me to a on line site(or download) that has a good reference to the different loads and colour codes on the WW2 Italian 2cm flak (20x138B Solothurn) projectiles,preferably with colour plates/photos.

All the best
Tony

If you find something post it here if you want, please, it is not easy to find info about the Italian made 2cm Flak rounds.

Tony
To add to your thread & answer your email!! If you are refering to the 20mm Italian you got from me I am fairly sure the projectile should be a drab green background, with an off yellow band between the driveband and bourolet with a thin red band at the fuze joint?
Projectile is HET(SD).

Hi H,
many thanks mate,do you mean something like this?
Phew! that was a good guess:wink:! H do you know if the German AP is tropical as the info I have (notes on enemy ammunition) states that a thin red line above the drive band is for tropical use,tracer being much thicker 6mm band either yellow or red depending on the colour of the tracer

Cheers
Tony

P9200012.jpgps. it looks grey in photo but is due to the light when I took the photo

Last edited:
Thanks munfrosch,do you know what the red line is for then? according to the same source from below tracer was marked on AP with a red tip.
This example does has traces of red paint on the projectile tip.

Cheers
Tony

P9210014.jpg

All AP-rounds for german 20x138G in your version wich i know as tropical have red tips.

EDIT: ive found some pics from me

Attachments

• JD600066 (Large).JPG
    JD600066 (Large).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 134
  • JD600062 (Large).JPG
    JD600062 (Large).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Interesting Jiipee - but i am sure Tonys` proj is only HET (SD) not incendiary.
Could the fuze markings be a clue?
BPD in an offset square/diamond 17?

Interesting color codes.So now we know these:

RED color on top = HIGHEXPLOSIVE
WHITE stripe = TRACER
BLUE STRIPE = INCENDIARY
YELLOW stripe = TRACER

Interesting Jiipee - but i am sure Tonys` proj is only HET (SD) not incendiary.
Could the fuze markings be a clue?
BPD in an offset square/diamond 17?

I'm sure you are right H,I managed to find the colours on this projectile by making it wet which actually made them stand out very well,no blue or white at all,the off yellow may have been a bright yellow originally and time may have dulled it down but what ever was used for this colour was very corrosive as I had a neat band of fairly deep pitting on the projectile when cleaned off,my main reason for the re-paint.
Have left the German 20mm as it is except a spray of clear lacquer which really brings the colours and stencils back to life.

Cheers
Tony

Nice pic & example thehairbarebunch.
The colours on mine & Tonys` could have changed with age but the fact your example is AP would make a difference to the colour coding.
The spacing though of the bands from the drive band to the bourolet looks fairly consistent/similar though with my HET (SD).
The case & projectile are also clearly stamped BPD. (although colours would be standard).

Here is 3 of my latest Italian rounds.Red casing ones are from SMI and brown casing one from BPD.
Interesting colors on lower one(Red top,bare steel,Green stripe,Light brown).There is quite few variants of these Italian round types...Gotta get em all. :bigsmile:

SDC12908.jpgSDC12909.jpg

Hi
I enclose some drawing about italian 2cm rounds:

Regio Esercito (army) 1st pic
grey body
red stripe= loaded shell
white stripe= AP
light blue stripe= Anti aircraft

Regia Marina (navy) 2nd - 3rd pics
see pics

Attachments

• RE rid.jpg