What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Italian 37mm On GB

They're rare over here in the UK.
As to why so much, if 2 people both want to buy it then its worth a lot to them, same old story.
Dave.

anything Italian WW1 or earlier is rare over here in US.And I have never seen ths round except in in books until it arrived the other day in the post. Needless to say, I will be saving my pennies for quite awhile.

Thanks, Dave. I he been collecting 37mm for about 15 years, and I have only been able to get 5 Italian rounds( one is 42mm, one 25.4mm ).Luckily, 3 0f the 5 are uncommon, if not rare.And this one was already in the US. I have not really recovered from last years loss of 2 Nordenfeldt 38mm in the post from the UK.

I have not seen anything Italian around my parts other than an WWI grenade. Anyhow you are a serious ordance collector and congrats on the GB 37mm.

Hi
A very nice round.
the 37mm shell, was used in 37/40 and 37/20,6 gun.
the round doesn't so easy to find here in Italy, so I thik it's a right price. Congratulations.
I would like to see a better pics of the headstamp and fuze, if possible.
a good article about italian w1 37mm:
http://www.munizioni.eu/munizioni/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26371

here my 37/40-20,6 rounds and shells.
best regards

Attachments

• 12 apr 2011_2749.jpg
    12 apr 2011_2749.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 12 apr 2011_2751.jpg
    12 apr 2011_2751.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Very Nice set ~

At least the Otter's round was very rare and it takes two to go there, so another advanced collector also thought it was worth the fight. Lately on GB I have seen a mediocre group of common French PD and a poor U.S. 1916 MK sell for over $300 or was it $400 and other extreme prices for nothing special , seems this buyer is going crazy J***y A+(96) There is no sense to some of this - One can only hope they over pay for common things and don't recognize the rare ones ! Makes it difficult for the rest of us this madness does.

Very nice group. Would not get those in the US in the next 500 years!!! Will send photos of base etc in a day or so.I pulled the projectile and weighed it and it was 6-8 grams above the loaded weight from references. So I pulled the plug a few minutes ago and indeed, it was filled with ballistite, no longer compressed after all these years. There is no fuze, the heat of impact ignites the filler. If you find a little ammo dump filled wiith any of these rounds 94R or 201R cased, let me know, and I will mortgage the house and deal.

Hi
Gspragge, highlandotter, thanks.
My dubt was the fuze. Ballistite was the right filling, without fuze, only a plug with copper ring.
I found a 25mm Fiat-Vickers shell, that have base fuze instead of plug. So my question, will be nice to see a fuze on 37/40-20,6 shell.
greetings