What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its raining 50's!!

waffenamt

Well now,
Here is the latest arrival for the stables...seems like a bit of a harvest for these lately!
A very early SC50 although by the weight of the nose end,im suspecting an early SD50??.

On a cursory examination,there are some stampings revealed.
The welds on the nose and tails look like an early design to.
No 'flutes/folds' visible on the tails and under that soon-to-be-gone green paint,more stamps may lurk?

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7007221.jpg
    S7007221.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 116
  • S7007222.jpg
    S7007222.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 100
  • S7007223.jpg
    S7007223.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 117
  • S7007225.jpg
    S7007225.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
The tail section is deffo the correct match for this case and i suspect by the lack of 'track' marks that this was never dropped.
Completely empty of course!!

The threads for the locating lugs are in very good condition.

The fuze pocket looks one of the first designs,so i may need to buy(or borrow to copy?) a set of the spring-loaded locking rings used on this type.

best

waff

Attachments

• S7007224.jpg
    S7007224.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 58
  • S7007226.jpg
    S7007226.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 62
  • S7007229.jpg
    S7007229.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 47
  • S7007230.jpg
    S7007230.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 61
The tail section is deffo the correct match for this case and i suspect by the lack of 'track' marks that this was never dropped.
Completely empty of course!!

The threads for the locating lugs are in very good condition.

The fuze pocket looks one of the first designs,so i may need to buy(or borrow to copy?) a set of the spring-loaded locking rings used on this type.

best

waff

Thats more like it,and will be an easy fix for the rear cone attachment,as they were screwed on and will make life easy.

Could be a lot more old imperial German stamps on this baby i reckon.

Do you think a 17 will fit:wink:

Best phil

Thats more like it,and will be an easy fix for the rear cone attachment,as they were screwed on and will make life easy.

Could be a lot more old imperial German stamps on this baby i reckon.

Do you think a 17 will fit:wink:

Best phil

:p nice one Phil..the 17 will fit but has an inch sticking out?? :tongue:

I reckon this and a certain SC70 could be winging their way south for a re-paint in the near future? ;)

Imperial stamps you say?,wow! Thats a whole new collectors game!
cheers

waff

:p nice one Phil..the 17 will fit but has an inch sticking out?? :tongue:

I reckon this and a certain SC70 could be winging their way south for a re-paint in the near future? ;)

Imperial stamps you say?,wow! Thats a whole new collectors game!
cheers

waff

Most of these pre blitz bombs were stock piled before the spanish civil war and in breach of the treaty of versailles,so i suspect the main stream armourment factorys wearnt in production at that time hense no WAA inspectorates marks,and slightly different stampings.
only a theory but certainly another nice avenue to collect.

Im painting three tomoz and two off them are 50s which one in particular is a library of stampings as is the 250 which has no less than six WAA stamps + a load of other markings.

Best phil

Thanks Phil,
Good info on the stamps origins. :)

Whaddaya think of the welds on the nose and tailfins now closer shots are in?
I reckon they are kosher.

Going to be fun getting the spring-loaded rings but hey!,the hunt is on!

As far the paint?,prolly a post war repaint?

cheers

waff

Thanks Phil,
Good info on the stamps origins. :)

Whaddaya think of the welds on the nose and tailfins now closer shots are in?
I reckon they are kosher.

Going to be fun getting the spring-loaded rings but hey!,the hunt is on!

As far the paint?,prolly a post war repaint?

cheers

waff

As right as rain pal and thinking about that paint scheme,which has preserved it well,cant realy fault the tails.

Just need to get a copy of the locking rings.

Best phil

Paul, if you remove the paint so please show pics from the more stamps! If have more on it.

Nice one Paul, I also look forward to seeing the ongoing restoration of this one and possible revealed markings!! I wish you luck on the securing ring too - not one I have ever come across myself, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere!!

regards Kev

locking ring

Nice one Paul, I also look forward to seeing the ongoing restoration of this one and possible revealed markings!! I wish you luck on the securing ring too - not one I have ever come across myself, but I'm sure they are out there somewhere!!

regards Kev

Heres a picture of a part of the early type locking ring, there was another bit but it went missing, hope it helps.
Dave

Attachments

• HPIM5413.JPG
    HPIM5413.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 32
Thank you lads for the last few inputs on this thread. :)

Thats an excellent start on the locking rings hunt,much appreciated.
Yep,i reckon the case is worthy of a strip and as soon(if?) any other stamps revealed then i shall post them up.
Cheers boys,made my night.

best

waff

Slightly delayed on the restoration but still going ahead im pleased to report. :)
Now,to answer the conundrum about the strange locking ring needed ive found this picture in BOCN archives.
Is this the one?

cheers

waff

Attachments

• early locking ring.jpg
    early locking ring.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
HPIM6710.jpgHPIM6706.jpgHPIM6705.jpgHPIM6707.jpg

Here are some pictures of an original document that I have. The document is from 1935 and relates to the 1kg incendiary, 10kg, 50kg, 250kg and 500kg bombs (anyone recognise the logo on the title page? is it a manufacturer?) . It is a very early document and has some fantastic drawings in it, some of which have been ammended. I have taken a photo of the 50kg bomb drawing and a close up of the fuze locking used, which relates to your early version of bomb. Hope you find it interesting, I think the document must be quite scarce.

regards Kev

Thanks kev,thats a super looking booklet!
Yes,im sure 'our kid' can work from that plan.I will have to guess the thickness of the ring or measure the depth of the fuze pocket top where the ring sits?

cheers

waff

Thanks kev,thats a super looking booklet!
Yes,im sure 'our kid' can work from that plan.I will have to guess the thickness of the ring or measure the depth of the fuze pocket top where the ring sits?

cheers

waff​

The problem with this type of locking ring was that the screws would work loose and as a result the fuze was far from secure. You ought to be able to get a measurement from the screws in the bomb you have. I think they must have tightened them up once in place, but it all looks pretty primative when you compare it to the later style.

as for the document, yes its very nice, I have had it a while its A4 format so the drawings are very nice. I'm not sure if it is a manufacturers document or a specification document.......maybe someone can identify the logo, which appears throughout. (pity its not on the SD2 though!!)

regards Kev

I think some of our german friends maybe able to ID the logo on the document? :)

Strange how those rings came loose as there is a screw to hold it down?

waff

Yes ok on the ground but in an aircraft the vibration could loosen them. All fittings in an aircraft have anti-vibrations screws fitted. I'm sure I read that was the case anyway.......maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong?

regards Kev