What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J-482u

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Any ideas on this item? The nomenclature and markings look very Serbian/Yugoslavian. However the codes point to Romania.

Thoughts?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-ES-73-2.JPG
    ICE-ES-73-2.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 45
  • ICE-ES-73-3.JPG
    ICE-ES-73-3.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 48
  • ICE-ES-73-10.JPG
    ICE-ES-73-10.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 47
Afternoon

I would read the markings as indicating that the case is for the 130mm M46 towed gun model of 1954. The case appears to be of Russian manufacture and made in 1987. The case appears to have been filled in 1988, the original projectile fitted would have been the y-482u. At this point my basic knowledge ends and the experts will have to take over!

I have 445 being S.C. Plopeni S.A.
and 171 (propellant manufacturer and filler) as S.C. Pirochim Victoria S.A. both Romanian.

257 on the base is Russian OAO Orsk Mechanical Plant KMZ

So I am going to say the case was made in Russia (257) filled in Romania (171) for Romanian use (445). Have to LOVE the number system used by U.S.S.R back in the day.

Joe

Just to confirm the case should be 845mm long, rim 184.7mm and mouth around 140mm. My understanding is that the 482 projectile was a HE type.

The designation stenciled on the case refers not the shell but the cased propellant charge as it is a semi-fixed round. It can be used with different shells. 482 itself is the gun's GRAU index, HE shell is OF-482, AP is BR-482

Last edited: