What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese 75mm Shell Case-Carboot Find!

Hi again,

Thanks for the nice words! :)

A further (final?) follow-up: I've got the translation results from the second place too now. The part about 'Shanghai machine branch' should indeed be interpreted as 'Shanghai arsenal' or 'Shanghai factory', the date was first misread as being '1900', it is actually '1910'.
Then, as for the most mysterious part: my assumption that '7 life 5' should be read as the calibre, seems to be correct, as the person at the restaurant also told me it read as '75mm'. Finally, the character at nr. 10 was translated as 'bullet' and the one at nr. 11 as 'case'. I'm not 100% certain how the two of these should be read in conjunction, but possibly just as 'case' or perhaps as 'round'.

Attached is an updated picture.

Cheers,
Olafo

Attachments

• Chinese_or_Japanese_75x118R_case_headstamp_with_numbers_heavily_compressed.jpg
    Chinese_or_Japanese_75x118R_case_headstamp_with_numbers_heavily_compressed.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17