What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Army Type 97 81mm Mortar

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

This is the latest project that I've just completed.

It is a Japanese Army Type 97 81mm Mortar

Filled at the Okayama Army Arsenal in July 1942.

Is fuzed with the Type 100 Instantaneous Short Delay Fuze.

Before I started besides originally having the wrong fuze it also had been repainted black with no markings left. So basicly I had to strip it down and soak it in evapo rust and then once all traces of rust had been removed I then started from bare metal and worked my way up from there.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

TYPE 97 81MM MORTAR 01 A.jpg

Last edited:
Ten out of Ten - Excellent Job. The lettering must have been tricky ? WF

Yea you're not wrong. By now I've got it down to a fine art and have developed a few tricks. Basically I make up the stencils on the computer from either a photo or other sources. I then print it out on plain printer paper. Using a Stanley knife I carefully cut it out leaving stencil joins where needed. Once cut I lightly smear the back of the stencil with PVC wood glue and then with electrical tape on the edges I position it correctly on the surface. The wood glue is to keep the edges of the stencil down so that I don't get paint drift.

I then place some newspaper over the top with a hole cut to reveal the stencil lettering. With a spray can I then spray straight onto the paper away from the stencil at the same time adjusting the pressure so as to obtain a whisk of spray. Once this is achieved I then sweep over the stencil areas with a slow even motion. After which the stencil is removed. Any PVC glue will come off with a gentle rub when the paint is dry. I then get a very fine paint brush and using a wee bit of the spray paint sprayed onto a section of the newspaper I then fill in any stencil marks etc.

After a day or so I then give it a light rub over with methylated spirits to take the new look away from it and to give it a wee bit of an old feel about it.

Hi Robert,

Another *excellent* restored item!!! Great Job Mate!

{Yeah, they unfortunately don't make letteraset for Kanji characters.............humm, perhaps in Japan?}

Cheers
Drew