What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese? Cut down.

SHAKY

I've had this for a couple years and have not identified it yet. Base diameter 170mm, mouth of 150mm. the length is 150mm but im sure its been cut down. Anchor on the primer, as well as over the date at 12 oclock position, so must be naval. Another 9 over 19 appears at 5 oclock. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Chinese maybe?japshell.jpg IDK.

Hi Shaky

You have what appears to be a cut down Japanese Army (IJA) 150mm case used on the Type 96 Howitzer. I say cut down as the case length should be 12 5/8" in length (320mm)

The "S 9/19" is the date stamp:

"S" stands for Showa period
"19" is the 19th year of Showa ie 1944
"9" is the month - September

On Japanese ammunition, the anchor stamp normally indicates an arsenal stamp and there are a number of subtle variations between the Kure, Toyokawa, Yokosuka, Maizuro & Sasebo arsenals.

If there are 2 squiddy lines across the anchor stem, then most likely Kure.

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. The anchor on the primer is just an anchor, but the other on the case has an H.

Too bad its been hacked down, but as the only Japanese casing I own so far, I like it. Were most IJA casings made this thick and heavy?

The case walls get thicker the further down from the case mouth you go. If you see a case you may want to acquire for your collection, and the walls look too thick, it can be a sign that it has been cut.

The thickness at the mouth was what made me think it was cut down also. That and the sawtooth type marks across the mouth. Even so it still would be thicker than any other cases I have. ... so far. Thanks much for the help guys.

Its actually a Jap Navy cart. but would like a pic of the overall length of it, which may give a better indication if it was cut?

Regards Ozzi.

Its actually a Jap Navy cart. but would like a pic of the overall length of it, which may give a better indication if it was cut?

Regards Ozzi.

Ahh, good spot Pete, it has the Mk 1 Model 4 Case primer which was used in the Navy 150mm!

Although I'm not sure what the Type 96 Howitzer case primer would be?

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
A couple more photos for you. 155mm. Its seems to me that cases like these, being quite thick and heavy, would equate to a lot of excess weight for use in the field. Another reason why I thought it might be naval. It wouldnt have to travel too far to be used or reloaded. Havent seen Japanese items around here much, so I wouldnt really know if Japanese naval cases are thicker than army ones.jap 001.jpgjap 002.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. Ill take it as a Japanese naval cut down with an original length of 320mm. Thanks for the help.

The only 2 Jap Naval carts with rim dia that come close to what you have listed are: 120mm x 851mm with rim of 169mm, other one is 127mm x 582mm with rim dia. of 170mm. These are listed in mouth diam. x length them rim dia.
Hope this helps,

Regards Ozzi.

Thanks Ozzi. The rim is 170 and following the taper out to 582mm would bring the mouth close to 130 so must be the 127mm. Now Ive got a pretty good direction where to go with this. IJN study time !
Cheers, Shaky.

However. Could it possibly be the 140mm x 551R ? Tapering out to 551mm brings the mouth diameter to almost exactly 140mm. Almost dead on compared to the 582mm. Do you happen to know if the rim diameter is also 170mm for the 140mm x 551R ?
SHAKY.

Howdy Shaky,

The 140mm x 553mm should have a rim dia. of 178mm & is straight tapered but believe it is IJA not IJN. The 127mm cart and the 120mm should be necked carts, not straight tapered both are IJN.

All the best,

Ozzi.

Thanks again. I was thinking that the Japanese Type 3 140mm was a WW1 naval gun which were used into ww2 on some ships and also many were taken from ships to shore for coastal defence. Apparently theses guns were in large supply so I had figured Id come across a common case. Since its definately not got a 178mm diameter rim on it, and it tapers in, I guess Ill go back with the 127mm.
If you come across the other 432mm of this casing, Id love to see it sometime:bigsmile: Cheers to the New Year. Shaky

Howdy Shaky,

The 140mm x 553mm should have a rim dia. of 178mm & is straight tapered but believe it is IJA not IJN. The 127mm cart and the 120mm should be necked carts, not straight tapered both are IJN.

All the best,

Ozzi.

US sources that quote 178mm rim diameter for the 140x551R case are wrong.
The case has a rim 173mm. I have traded my case with Olafo who can confirm this measurement.........
Greetings, Charley

US sources that suggest the rim diameter of the 140x551R case is 178mm are wrong.
It is actually 173mm..........have traded my case with Olafo who can confirm.
My case was IJN, see base in photo

Attachments

• 140x551R head.jpg
    140x551R head.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the clarification Charley. This has been keeping me busy lately, peaking my interest in Japanese artillery, something I know little about.
Thank you to all for the help. Does anyone have an example of the 127mm x 582R ?
Cheers, Shaky

Why does it happen more often than not. I log in and the first thing I see in random photos is exactly what Im looking for. There it is ! IJN 127mm 580R.
I love BOCN !