What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese grenade ink stamps

paul the grenade

Anyone got any info on what the white ink stamps are on the bottom of most japanese grenades? Are they dates or filling station marks?
Would love to know.
Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul, The markings give the loading date an where the grenade was loaded. If you want any translated, just post a photo and I'll give it a go. Cheers Colin

Here you go Colin.
Looks to me like 189 and a letter F in a circle.
Why would they use english numbers and not japanese characters??:tinysmile_eyebrow_t
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• T 97 base stamps.jpg
    T 97 base stamps.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 26
Hi Paul, I'm not sure which arsenal it is, as an F in a circle could be the remains of a number of different ones. I've taken a guess and also attached a scan of the different types, so you'll be able to confirm.

The Japanese numbering system can be confusing. They used both Arabic and Kanji numerals. You need to consider the item you are looking at, know the date range when it was made, and then translate. :nerd:

Cheers
Colin

Attachments

• 1 4 paul jap.jpg
    1 4 paul jap.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 1 4 paul jap2.jpg
    1 4 paul jap2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for the info and chart Colin.
Ive had a good look at the body and worked out all its stamps now.
the body has the Tokyo army supply depot symbol but not in a circle
the lid is stamped on the inside with the same stamp and a Z or N and another stamp that is the same as the supervisory section of the tokyo 1st army arsenal but with a cross on the top of it. The fuze has this symbol as well and a star with a circle in it. Ive had a go at the date and it is Showa 15 which i think is 1940 there is a 7 so i presume that is july.
Also on the fuze is the tokyo army supply depot stamp. The delay tube is also well marked with 4 to 5 seconds and the 3rd factory of the tokyo 1st army arsenal symbol and the Chigusa factory of the nagoya army arsenal symbol.
I'll have a go at some close up pic a bit later.
Now to check all my other jap grenades!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul,

This will help with the body stampings. Have fun. Cheers Colin

Attachments

• 1 4 paul jap3.jpg
    1 4 paul jap3.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23