What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese grenade.

navyman

Hello,
I'd be grateful for any information relating to Japanese Type 97 grenades?
Many thanks,
navyman.

T97

Some T97s plus a couple of T91s and a T99.

Tom.

Attachments

• Japanese grenades.JPG
    Japanese grenades.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 122
excellent selection of jap grens snufkin.
Do any of the T97's have the paper label on the bottom?
Paul.

Unfortunately not. A few of them still have the white painted markings, that's all.

Like most owners of a Type 99, I'm always on the look out for the paper label that went round the body. Original would be nice (fat chance of that), but a good facsimile would do...

Tom.

I have an english translation of the 99 text. Just need someone to translate it back into japanese. If you want a copy let me know.
paul.

Paul, if you have it in electronic form, I'd be grateful if you would email (PM) it to me. I'm not convinced the translation back to the Japanese kanji will be straightforward...

Tom.

Japanese grenades and other stuff

Here's a picture of some of my Japanese stuff. It's taken me a very long time to accumulate what's in the pictures. Always looking to buy.

Jim USA

All these are INERT/empty.

First Picture-

Top Row, left to right: Molotov grenade/fuze, 70mm Japanese anti tank Rocket projectile, Two stacked Army Type 3 clusterbombs, Navy 1 Kg clusterbomb, Army aircraft HO 203 37mm cannon round.

Middle Row, left to right, Vickers 40mm navy fuze, smoke knee mortar shell, Stick grenade, Smoke incendiary grenade, Type 10 grenade, Type 11 smoke/incendiary grenade, Spigot Rifle grenade M-2 mod 1, Spigot rifle grenade M-2, Late Navy spigot launcher, Early Type 91 launcher, Improvised serrated Philippines grenade, Egg serrated ceramic grenade, Ball serrated ceramic grenade.

Foreground: Left to right, Improvised beehive landmine fuze, Molotov fuze in can, Philippines made improvised 58mm mortar shell/modified type 88 fuze, another Philippines serrated grenade, Two Flare pistol launched (?) unidentified "Japanese like" grenades out of China, Pull igniter.

Second picture-

Left to right: Type 89 smoke/incendiary 50mm shell, Type 95 smoke shell/timer fuze, Type 11 smoke/incendiary 50mm 1/2 kg grenade, Type 10 service grenade, Type 10 live fire training grenade, Type 10 training dummy grenade/solid brass fuze, Type 10 training dummy grenade/solid steel fuze, ODD solid cast iron one piece type 10 dummy grenade(No serration to body), Type 10 training dummy grenade, no booster, Common type 91 grenade.

I am always looking for good WWII INERT Japanese ordnance. Especially mines, bombs and grenades. I do not own or collect live Material.

I've also posted pics of Japanese mines, shells, mortar rounds on this good site, http://www.castle-thunder.com/wforum/viewtopic.php?t=976 Hope this link works.

I'm a long time collector of Japanese INERT Ordnance.
Jim USA

JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Attachments

• DSCF0303.jpg
    DSCF0303.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0312.jpg
    DSCF0312.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
A superb collection there, clearly the result of many years seeking. Many thanks for sharing that and for the links.

Tom.

Mexican made Reproduction Japanese Ceramic grenades??

Mexican made reproduction of Japanese Ceramic Grenade.

If anyone has information on this let us all know. I'm willing to buy one of these as long as the price is right. I'd really like to examine one. It doesn't surprise me....

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Hey Jim, a friend of mine was in Mexico and said they are at many tourist dumps, however no pictures so this is UNCONFIRMED. Don't know what to say beyond that. As soon as Ed McMahon shows up at my door with the big check, i'll fly down and check it out my self, but until then afraid it can be considered no more than conjecture...Dano

Thanks Snufkin,
I'm thinking of building an inert repro striker/fuze set for a sectioned 97 which I have. At present it only has a repro brass fuze casing so your picture will be very helpful. I don't suppose you have a drawing of the mechanism, if so I'd be most grateful if you could post a copy for me?
Best regards,
navyman.

Hi, the T97 fuze is basically the same as the T91 attached. The only difference is the size of cavity at the bottom of the delay tube. Note: the drawing attached shows the correct type for a T97. Cheers Colin

Last edited:
Type 97 drawing

Hi Navyman,

Drawing of Type 97 from JATR No.05 (courtesy of Bonnex).

Tom.

Attachments

• Type 97 drawing.jpg
    Type 97 drawing.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 56
Thanks Tom, Colin, Bonnex, and all who have helped.
I'm accumulating a good stock of usefull info now.
So I've got to get myself to work and see how this project comes out.
Cheers,
Guy.

Snufkin nice to see the fuzes still with the amethyst colour to the tops. Anyone know why they coloured the fuzes.

Spare grenade fuse/striker set

Try the chap on the other end of this link. He could have some spare Type 97 grenade fuse/striker sets left if you are lucky. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=126982
Good luck,:tinysmile_shy_t:

Thanks Snufkin,
I'm thinking of building an inert repro striker/fuze set for a sectioned 97 which I have. At present it only has a repro brass fuze casing so your picture will be very helpful. I don't suppose you have a drawing of the mechanism, if so I'd be most grateful if you could post a copy for me?
Best regards,
navyman.