What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese grenades

paul the grenade

Got a new camera for christmas and just had to take some pics of grenades.
heres a selection of japanese ones for starters.
paul.

Attachments

• Japanese Grenades.jpg
    Japanese Grenades.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 156
looking good

G'day Paul pic's look great keep them coming, hope you had a great xmas
Regards Daryl
PS that brown ceramic looks good lol.:xd:

HI DARYL.
We had a great christmas.
it was fantastic watching the twins trying to open the presents then seeing the smiles on their little faces.
Great stuff.
Hope you and your family had a great one too.
Cheers, Paul.

Very good collection Paul!
Very....
Grenades from dream's... :)
>>-------------------->

Eugene.

hmmmmmm very good!

Paul, the type 11, type 10 and the training type 10 with rounded bottom are very good pieces. Nice! Funny thing, when I got my first digital camera three months ago I was taking pictures of my grenades even before taking pictures of my family..............he he!

Jim
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Last edited:
Hi Paul, Looking good. I have a Type 10 practice already and an HE on it's way. Do you have any info on the type 10? I've never seen any mention of them in manuals etc. Cheers Colin

Type 10 (1921 model)

I'm not at my place right now so I cannot post pictures of Type 10 reference. I need at least a day. There are several manuals that describe and identify the type 10 HE grenade, A live fire practice type 10, and the Type 11 smoke/incendiary grenade. I have a Japanese WWII era printed manual that has diagrams of the Type 10. I'll try to post that info as soon as possible unless another BOCN member can beat me to it.

Jim
Japaneseordnance(at)yahoo.com

Type 10 and Type 11 reference

Here's a few pictures from two manuals that describe the Type 10 and Type 11 grenades. The first two photos comes from "Handbook on Japanese Military forces TM-E 30-480" dated 15th September 1944. It describes the Type 10 grenade. The other pictures come from an original Japanese ammunition document that's mostly untranslated. Clearly next to the diagrams of the grenades you can make out "10th year type....Grenade" and "11th year type Grenade" written in Japanese. I hope to have this booklet fully translated someday. Information on early Japanese grenades is scarce. Hope this helps a bit.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0272.jpg
    DSCF0272.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF0275.jpg
    DSCF0275.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF0278.jpg
    DSCF0278.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF0279.jpg
    DSCF0279.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 49
2nd Type 10 grenade variation-possibly training

Here's another picture of a variant Type 10 grenade. I believe this was used for Training. This diagram comes from the same WWII era Japanese ammunition booklet. It has a very long booster. Our friend in China was selling these along with the standard type 10. I'm unable to translate much on this page but is clearly shows the long booster. Seems to be a dummy or training model of some type. Wish I could read more of the text.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0276.jpg
    DSCF0276.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 38
Info on Type 91 tail fin

Hey JCB99 Great info much appreciated! I'm trying to find out details of the tail fin unit that was attached to the type91 grenades to convert them to rifle grenades would anybody have an example to post a pic or even some measurements as I would love to make a replica to have an example in my collection OR even better someone may have a few hidden under their bed and they want to sell one {yeah I know it's not likely but stranger things have happened}
Regards Daryl

spigot type 91 grenades

I don't have one of these but I've seen two in my life, one was repainted. Wish I jumped on them when I had the chance. I believe they are making reproductions of the tail boom. I suggest taking a look at www.gunboards.com, japanese section. I believe a small batch of repros were made. They are pretty accurate with brand new paint. The same person who is making Type 2 rifle grenades and Naval spigot repro grenades is making the repro tail boom. Off hand I can't remember the name. The original is a very rare grenade.

Jim

Japanese Ordnance reference

I've received a few requests for scans of my Japanese ammunition refrence. I want to correct myself. I actually do not own the original document. To be more accurate, what I have is a photocopy of a post WWII reprint of a 1939 dated Japanese ammunition book. The quality of the photocopy is fair at best, at least 25% of the japanese characters are not legible. Scanning these photocopies will not yield better pictures or more readable text. I'm posting a picture of the cover. It's called Japanese Ammunition: Army ammunition number 1. Only the cover has part of the title in english, the rest of the book is Japanese. I'm going to search the internet for a better copy of this reference book. Hopefully other BOCN members with an interest in Japanese ammunition could also search around. I think this book needs to be translated. This is the only manual I've seen that has diagrams of at least three different sling grenades, the type 98b stick grenade and both types of type 10 grenades. Also, this is one of the few sources that identifies the incendiary grenade as the Type 11. If anybody finds an original copy, please contact me. If I'm wrong on any point, let me know, I'm always open to correction.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0285.jpg
    DSCF0285.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0283.jpg
    DSCF0283.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0284.jpg
    DSCF0284.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Nice collection Paul. Here's a not so good picture of my Japanese grenades. Still waiting on the Manchuria grenade.:tinysmile_angry_t: Daryl, if you go to Gunboards, 03man is the guy you want to talk to. Go to the Japanese Trader Board. Scroll down. He had some listed, not too long ago. M.P.

Attachments

• mornin 001.jpg
    mornin 001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi, I had a bit of my Japanese ordnance out of storage over the weekend, so thought I'd share the pleasure and take a photo. Cheers

Last edited:
I bought my xerox copy from CSA. Yeah, John, I know.

Here's a few pictures from two manuals that describe the Type 10 and Type 11 grenades. The first two photos comes from "Handbook on Japanese Military forces TM-E 30-480" dated 15th September 1944. It describes the Type 10 grenade. The other pictures come from an original Japanese ammunition document that's mostly untranslated. Clearly next to the diagrams of the grenades you can make out "10th year type....Grenade" and "11th year type Grenade" written in Japanese. I hope to have this booklet fully translated someday. Information on early Japanese grenades is scarce. Hope this helps a bit.

Jim