What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese HO-201/202 or something else, info requested

HAZORD

Premium Member
I have an example of what I have been told is a Japanese Aircraft experimental 37mm round. In the group photo of rounds, it is the one on the far left. I haven't taken the time to go through ordnance translations to determine what the characters are on the headstamp, but maybe one of you with experience in this can help translate them.

The case is 110mm tall, and 46.2mm across the rim. The projectile has a threaded brass nose plug that makes up all of the ogive. There is also a threaded brass piece underneath the nose plug.

The story I heard about the copies of these rounds that made it into the U.S., was that a New York National Guard detachment was stationed in Japan after the end of the war, and when they entered a factory they found a box of projectiles and a box of cartridge cases, and each interested soldier took a case and projectile. I have no idea how many were found. The soldiers returned to New York, and the rounds have gradually spread out from there. I purchased one round from a collector in Toronto Canada.

I have been told that this is the HO-201 or HO-202, which was the experimental predecessor to the HO-203 and/or HO-204. Does anyone have any info to confirm this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• Group Shot.jpg
    Group Shot.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 72
  • Rims.jpg
    Rims.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Case profile.jpg
    Case profile.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 39
  • Projectile.jpg
    Projectile.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Ogive.jpg
    Ogive.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Fuzewell.jpg
    Fuzewell.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Headstamp 2.jpg
    Headstamp 2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Headstamp.jpg
    Headstamp.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 40
It can be found in Ken Elks book on Japanese Ammunition Part 2: 20mm - 40mm on page 186. It certainly looks as if it is the Ho 201.

The head stamp reads Osaka Army Arsenal July 1941 (Showa 16, 7th month)