What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese impact fuzes

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. When I first picked up one of these Japanese impact fuzes I was really pleased, as they are quite hard to find. I’ve just got a second one, so I’m planning on pulling it apart and I may even section it (if the internals haven’t rusted away). Both are missing the cap that attaches the impact fuzes to the Molotov cocktail bottle. If I section the second one I’ll want to make a reproduction cap. Has anyone got a photo of the bottle cap type fastener? Cheers

Attachments

• jap impact fuze.jpg
    jap impact fuze.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 88
Hi. Found this in the downloads. The cap is going to be a challenge to make:sad: Cheers

Attachments

• Jap incendiary.jpg
    Jap incendiary.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 43
Hi,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the information you request (such kinds of ordnance are not at all my expertise, and hence I know very little about them), but there's something I'd like to ask about this item.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm dumbfounded at how this molotov cocktail would ignite. Sure, if the impact fuze is struck, I can believe it going off, but.... How did the Japanese achieve having the molotov cocktail hit a target with the fuze first?!?
It would seem to me that in order to achieve this, the top part (i.e. with the fuze) would have to be heavier than the rest. When viewing your pictures, in fact the bottle looks very bottom heavy. But even when it's top heavy, I have a hard time seeing the molotov cocktail always go off. It would seem to me that it easily would start to tumble in the air, or otherwise stray from a path that would lead to a direct hit on the fuze.
Do you perhaps have an idea about this?
I'm very curious to find this out.

At present I can only think of two things:
1) Maybe the Japanese simply put up with a high amount of 'duds'?
2) Perhaps it was only thrown 'straight' (fuze first), as opposed to how a stick grenade is thrown, from a short range?

Option 1 seems unlikely (from a tactical point of view).

Another thing that I find fascinating is the complex design of the fuze for a low cost item such as a molotov cocktail. It seems the fuze cost would be excessive in comparison to the rest of the weapon. One would think that a wick would suffice too (or maybe I'm being naive here?). Were these molotov cocktails perhaps field improvisations, using fuzes they had at hand?

BTW: note that at times the TMs are really off; a very good example is the section where the operation of shrapnel projectiles is described. The TM states the bottom is blown out.
When reading that, I couldn't for the earth of it understand how that would set the shrapnel balls free in the proper way (i.e. they'd be moving in the opposite direction as intended or would simply stay put in the projectile); Cliff Carlisle then explained the way they really worked, with the shrapnel balls going out the front.
This, of course, is not to say that the TM is off regarding the molotov cocktail fuze, but it is at least the second time that something coming from the TMs has left me equally puzzled as when reading the section about the shrapnel projectiles...

Anyone?

Cheers,
Olafo

Last edited:
Hi Ogreve. There is also a fuze cover and bottle cover that goes with it, certainly a lot of effort for a Molotov cocktail. Having said that, it would have been a very effective weapon against tanks, making it a relatively cheap option. Being an All-ways fuze it would have ignited irrespective of how the bottle landed. Not many of these turn up, so it is possible that they were not made in great numbers. This is a great read on the weapon http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/downloads.php?do=file&id=413 (thanks BOUGAINVILLE). Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the answer, yes, the (always) great JAL reports clarify a lot. I just finished reading the entire document.
Alright, so basically the fuze was simply very sensitive, hence easily causing ignition upon any kind of shock or quick jerk. Sounds dangerous to use and handle. :p

Very interesting. The other kind, with the glass vials holding chemical compounds that will cause ignition, sounds more like what I had expected in a molotov cocktail.

Cheers,
Olafo