What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Knee Mortars

EODGUY

Once again I solicita some help. I have a lot of references on the Nee mortar, but they only address the common HE version witrh the red band. I can find nothing on the right hand version with the white band and markings. I'm sure there is someone out there that has some data.

Attachments

• Japanese Knee Mortar.jpg
    Japanese Knee Mortar.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 68
I believe from the references I have it is a Smoke Shell Type '95

The shell is painted black with 2 white bands 5/16-in. wide one just below the bourrelet and the other above the base adapter.

from Japanese Ammunition C.I. AMN. Technical Report No. 6 (Second Issue)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a match to me. The upper white band is basically gone, but I do see some small white areas on close examination. Bob

It doesn't look like a smoke shell to me. They have a different top, section, and larger fuse assy.. The lower white band was put on early rounds to denote mfg from steel. Since all KM rounds are made of steel, the white band was dropped. The missing upper "white" band, was probably yellow. Looks like an early three piece shell.

Attachments

• KM Smoke 002.jpg
    KM Smoke 002.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 42
  • KM Smoke 003.jpg
    KM Smoke 003.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi,

I'm not so certain that this is not a smoke grenade. Upon seeing it, I directly associated the two white bands and the white triangle with a smoke grenade. The Type 89 small time fuze is indeed much wider than the Type 88 small instantaneous fuze, but the threads may be of the same size.
Unfortunately I only have HE grenades and Type 88 fuzes, so I can't compare the threads or otherwise test if these fuzes have the same thread size.

Anyone?

Cheers,
Olafo