What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Navy 25mm Tracer Projectile - unlisted

AE501

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Here are pictures with ID info for the subject round and similar, taken from a 1945 evaluation publication.

The publication also contains diagrams and operation instructions for other Japanese Army and Navy Projectiles and Fuzes.
The standard of drawings is about standard for that time.

I hasten to add that I am not an expert on Japanese munitions.

I have included a fuze to show the standard of the plates at that time. This particular fuze has a red domed variant.

IMG_0533.jpgIMG_0534.jpgIMG_0530.jpgIMG_0531.jpgIMG_0532.jpg

Japanese Projectiles and Fuzes. It is a Confidential publication compiled by US Navy Mobile Explosives Investigation Unit No 4 dated 19 January 1945.

I saw the 25mm cartridge in your gallery after I had started to take photos of fuzes in the book that matched your gallery fuzes, when I thought there are so many of these that he may already have these in modern format so I stopped until I found out whether these pictures were needed. You and others may already have these in a more modern publication.
I went as far as a powder filled fuze of the Meiji period, which I was interested to see was made by the Elswick Ordnance Company, England.

I included the Type 91 fuze here because I saw the red dome on one of your fuzes and although the title was not quite the same it looked very similar.
I still have all the fuzes that I put into my computer and if these are required I will send them them to you and anything else that applies.
I am unfamiliar with this site having only recently joined, I am a Mac user so the microsoft feel is different and I am a pre WW2 baby so my grandaughter knows more about computing than I do.
There is a Chinese Mortar fuze, a Navy 8" Rocket, plus a Rocket Motor for a 60 kg type 97 Navy GP Bomb, otherwise everything is as described in the title, including Mortars.

I could not see any way to put photos into your gallery so that is why I have done this thread. Perhaps this is the way to go about it so that any other Japanese ordnance collector scan share the info.

In the front of the book are 2 pages all the ordnance terms like Howitzer, AP, Mountain Gun, mm, pyrotechnic, etc., with the Japanese calligraphy associated with them. Some of it is not too clear particularly the fine lines and they were probably not drawn by a Japanese.

Last edited:
Yes I do have a copy of Japanese Projectiles & Fuzes. I thought that I had uploaded it already to the Downloads Section. Just checked and it looks as if I must've overlooked doing so. The PDF that I produced is rather large at 192 Mb. I am at this moment trying to upload it and just hope that it is successful.

If you look through the pdf files that I have already uploaded in "Downloads" section you will find a mass of information on Japanese ordnance. In fact what one might call an information overload. There is even one publication detailing the development of the Japanese naval projectile fuzes which is very interesting.

I am a wee bit behind in uploading photos to my gallery section. Have some very rare fuzes etc still to upload.

Cheers,
Robert

ps. Just installed some PDF compression software so will be able to upload a compressed version of the PDF file this afternoon

Last edited: