What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Type 10 and Type 91 grenade Comparison.

ron3350

Here I show the differences between the Japanese Type 10 and Type 91 grenades for launcher or hand thrown use or with a tail fin attached for rifle use.
Wiki shows the wrong photo of the 91 instead of the Type 10. Lexpev site shows the correct photo.
Premature explosions were possibly caused by the fuze and open base on the type 10? and was altered on the Type 91.
The type 10 has a different serrated top and a shorter fuze cap. Possibly common knowledge to collectors but the differences are shown here.
I would like to know what is written on the grenade top and fuze booster.

Grenade a.jpgGrenade b.jpgGrenade c.jpgGrenade d.jpgGrenade e.jpeg

Here is the information I have regarding the grenades and comparisons

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpeg
    IMG_2250.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2251.jpeg
    IMG_2251.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2252.jpeg
    IMG_2252.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2253.jpeg
    IMG_2253.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 34
Thanks for the diagrams.
Your Type 10 has the long fuze cover while mine has a shorter one. My friend also has the short cover.
Does this mean 2 cover lengths exist or someone has shortened more than one item. Hard to prove??
May I say I like the new format but still have to learn how it works. Ron.

Thanks for the diagrams.
Your Type 10 has the long fuze cover while mine has a shorter one. My friend also has the short cover.
Does this mean 2 cover lengths exist or someone has shortened more than one item. Hard to prove??
My understanding is that the Type 10 had a short fuse cover and the Type 91 and Type 97 had a longer fuse cover.

Thanks for the diagrams.
My diagrams and information i provided are located in a secret manual produced by the the Canadian Army Headquarters in London, England 1945.

I don't see a response for your translation request.

The one character on top of the grenade body is the number 7 (pictured upside down)

The four circle symbol is the arsenal marking for Kokura.

Others are probably inspection stampings.

The first character on the fuze body is an abreviated "Showa" and the second is the number 10. Third is difficult but looks like the number 4. I'm guessing it reads "Showa 14th Year xx Month" then a star with dot. 1939, Tokyo Arsenal.

The vertical characters on the fuze: "4 - 5 seconds".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 1.43.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 1.43.58 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 1.46.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 1.46.15 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Some of the grenades with the booster for the mortar were changed back to grenades by removing the threads on the base were the booster screwed into and 4 small lugs were welded around the base of the grenade to stop the grenade being loaded down the barrel of a mortar, the bottom os this grenade is painted white with a label.

I also have a grenade fuse for these that is hand lit rather than ignited by percussion cap strike.

I don't see a response for your translation request.

The one character on top of the grenade body is the number 7 (pictured upside down)

The four circle symbol is the arsenal marking for Kokura.

Others are probably inspection stampings.

The first character on the fuze body is an abreviated "Showa" and the second is the number 10. Third is difficult but looks like the number 4. I'm guessing it reads "Showa 14th Year xx Month" then a star with dot. 1939, Tokyo Arsenal.

The vertical characters on the fuze: "4 - 5 seconds".

Thanks for the translation on my grenade. It is February 1939 Tokyo on the fuze body. I can translate these dates OK.
The fuze characters had me confused.