What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Japanese Type 10

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Firstly, Thanks to Jim (JCB99) for providing the drawings and manual references in thread http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/japanese-grenades-t66742.html?t=66742. Ive cleaned the HE one up a bit and added a photo of my T10 HE
Prior to the Internet reaching China these Type 10 grenades were almost impossible to find. Now there are multiple variations of this rare Japanese grenade turning up.
There is still very little information floating around about this grenade, so if you have one in your collection, please add a photo to this thread. Itll be very interesting to see how many variations are out there.
An interesting point about this one is the remains of a soldered cover over the booster vent holes. Ive not seen this on any other Japanese grenades.
Cheers Colin

Last edited:
nicely done

Colin, I like it! Nicely done. That is a really good Type 10. Does your grenade have any markings on the top surface? I have two that have dates but most of mine are unmarked. I'll try to post some pics in the next day or so. I don't have my type 10's in front of me but I think one of them is dated 1931. I have a collector friend who is selling copies of that manual. The price is $30 plus postage. I bought a copy. You are right, there is little info on these very early Japanese Grenades. Before 2000, I think only saw one Type 10 and maybe one or two Type 10 training dummys. I'm under the impression that our guy in China found dozens of them. I just purchased a strange, Type 91/Type 10 training dummy grenade from our guy in China. The booster and the body of the grenade are one piece with very shallow serrations. The brass fuze is not threaded and simply Jammed into the top of the grenade. It is delightfully crude! Here is one pic of most of my Type 10 grenade variations.

Jim
USA
JapaneseOrdnance(at)yahoo.com

Always looking to buy good Inert Japanese Ordnance!

Attachments

• DSCF0312.jpg
    DSCF0312.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Heres some pics of my practice ones.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• type 10 drill.jpg
    type 10 drill.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
  • type 10 practice 2.jpg
    type 10 practice 2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 32
Although Im not a collector of Japanese ordnance, I have to say that they are very nice grenades. Nice pics and items, Guys!

Hi, Nice photos of some very nice grenades. The variations of practice grenades being found in China is fantastic. I think I am lucky that European collectors are not too interested in Japanese ordnance. As Jim pointed out there are probably only a few dozen T10's out there, yet they are only a fraction of the cost of a stick grenade:tinysmile_grin_t:.
I’m still putting a post together of my practice one. It’s very similar to your one Paul, in that it has the raised collar and is longer than the standard HE one.
My HE T10 does have markings on the top, but I can’t make them out. I’ve also included a file photo of the marking of one that was sold on EBay in 2007. The manual sounds interesting, I may be interested once the Christmas holiday bills are a distant memory:tinysmile_angry2_t:. Cheers

Attachments

• t10 top marks.jpg
    t10 top marks.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 19
  • t10 top marks 1.jpg
    t10 top marks 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
dates on type 10's

Colin,
That second picture has markings I can make out. Reading from right to left: Showa, (refering to Emperor Hirohiro's Reign or Era), 7 ( year), 8 ( month) Tokyo 2nd army arsenal (Flaming bomb mark). 7th year of Showa would be 1932, the eighth month would be August. The dates on the fuzes will have similar dates, but not always exactly the same dates. The bodies of the grenades and the fuzes were manufactured at different times and the parts assembled at a later time. I know of a 1929 dated Type 10. That would be Showa 4th year. (Showa:Emperor Hirohito) That is the earliest Type 10 I know of. I would imagine some Taisho reign/era dated type 10 grenades might still exist. The Reign/era of Taisho was Emperor Hirohito's Father's reign. (Taisho:Emperor Yoshihito) Maybe someday some really early Type 10's might come to light. Everyone check the dates of your type 10's! Most are unfortunately unmarked. I have two Type 10's with dates, all of the lower quality trainers and dummies are undated. I'll check the dates of my Type 10's sometime soon.

Jim

I hope I spelled those Emperor names right!

Last edited:
You wrote right the Japanese names, but not the name of our Kiwi friend, he is Colin, not Colon... Colon is where the digestive apparatus
join with the rectum, not a very nice place.... so write right his name, please. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Attachments

• color.gif
    color.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 21
It is not the first time I have been called a collon, but it still hurts:tinysmile_tongue_t:.

The T10 with the clear markings also came with a very nice matching fuze. The markings on the fuze is a lot higher up on the fuze than any I've got. One of those grenades that you let slip through your fingures and always regrete:tinysmile_angry_t:. Cheers Colin :tinysmile_classes_t

Attachments

• 1 1 jap fuze.jpg
    1 1 jap fuze.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 20
Hi. I'm very interested in the dummy fuzes, as there seem to be a number of different styles and sizes.

Jim. I like your new avatar. Is that a T10 he's holding?

Here's my practice T10. It's quite a bit longer than my HE one. Does anybody know if this style of body was aso used with HE grens.

Cheers
Colin

Last edited:
I love my new avatar, I hope it is not offensive to anyone!

Colin, (Spelled with an "i"), Yes, this is a period picture of a Japanese soldier posing for the camera holding a Type 10 grenade. This is the only picture I've ever seen of a Japanese soldier holding a Type 10. Here are two GREAT pictures of Japanese soldiers handling grenades.

Jim

I added the wording........."NO surrender, YOU DIE!!"

P.S. I suggest you place you name on that Type 10 grenade information picture. Very nice!! I like it!

Attachments

• japanese holding a type 10 - Copy - Copy - Copy (3) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    japanese holding a type 10 - Copy - Copy - Copy (3) - Copy - Copy.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 31
  • s Phillipines _66_.jpg
    s Phillipines _66_.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hi Jim, those photos are great. THANKS! I’ve added the T10 one to the original drawing I posted. If you prefer I didn’t, let me know and I will replace it with the original one. A lot of effort does go into the drawings and I have thought about watermarking them. But when you consider the great information, photo’s and manual references I get in return, I think it’s probably a fair deal. Cheers Colin

Last edited:
You wrote right the Japanese names, but not the name of our Kiwi friend, he is Colin, not Colon... Colon is where the digestive apparatus
join with the rectum, not a very nice place.... so write right his name, please. :tinysmile_tongue_t:

LOL! :laugh: :biggrin: :laugh:

Here is my Japanese training grenade from "our guy" in China. It looks just like Paul the Grenades. Mine has a very rare hole in it....see

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• P6230028.JPG
    P6230028.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 15
  • P6230038.jpg
    P6230038.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 21
  • P6230039.jpg
    P6230039.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 26
  • P6230035.JPG
    P6230035.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P6230032.JPG
    P6230032.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 20
  • P6230030.JPG
    P6230030.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P6230029.jpg
    P6230029.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P6230027.jpg
    P6230027.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 21
Hi, Great practice gren. I have a T10 practice model, but none of the later ones. I have a couple of threaded practice fuzes, but am unsure what they fit as they are thinner than a standard fuze. Here's a file photo of another practice model with a wedge fit fuze. Cheers

Last edited:
Looks familiar

Colin, That training grenade looks familiar! I bought one exactly like this one from you know who in China. The fuze is bent and the overall quality is very low but it is an interesting variation. Did you also get one of these?

Jim

PS, I also have one of these one piece T-91/T-10(?) trainers that has no serration lines. I bought it from "oldSoldier" several years ago. Very low quality!

Hi Jim, by file photo I meant that it's not mine, but a photo I've grabbed off the internet. If you have brought it, I'll remove the post and leave it up to you to add a photo of it if you want. Cheers Colin

Last edited:
dont worry about it..

Colin, You don't have to remove it. Here it is again along with a very plain smooth cast dummy Type 10/91. It seem like the package took months to get to the states, I started to get worried. The other pic is some Japanese Training grenade dummy fuzes. Lots of interesting variation with the training stuff. Steve, That is a nice Trainer! I also have one of those trainers with rounded bottom and skinny fuze. Mine is missing the pull pin.

Jim

Attachments

• DSCF0550.jpg
    DSCF0550.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF0551.jpg
    DSCF0551.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Nice assortment of practice grens and dummy fuzes. Here's another dummy fuze. It's hollow and made of brass with a lead weight in the top. The standard fuze cap fits it perfectly, but the threaded section is slightly narrower that the standard fuze. Apparently it was found loose, so we have no idea what model it fits. Cheers

Attachments

• jap prac fuze.jpg
    jap prac fuze.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 4