What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jet engine starter cartridges, electric ignition

Hello to one and all - my first post, so be gentle with me! I recently bought the steel box for 8 electric-ignition starter cartridges for jet engines; these particular ones are Mk 10/3, and were used in an EE Canberra's Avons. I wondered if anyone has any information as to who made these for the MOD. This batch is dated 10/91.In the lid of the box is a label stating that the filler was NEC(A), and that they were packed by LA, both of these ids in blue biro, and the standard-brown box repeats NEC(A) in stencilled yellow. I'm tempted to think this means Nobel's Explosives Co., and that the A might refer to the Ardeer plant, but I have a feeling that Nobel's was swallowed up (by what became ICI) long before then. I also bought one of the fired brass cases of the type the box was made for: it bears the stamp BL 12/94, so it can't be from this '91 batch, but can anyone tell me what BL means? I'm pretty sure that I've read threads about the Coffman cartridges used to start some piston engines on BOCN, so I don't think I'm out of order in bringing my query to you experts. Many thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome,
Not a full answer but a bit of info - NEC(A) is the monogram of Nobel Explosive Company (Ardeer). This company remains as a manufacturer of propulsive devices for the military and commercial markets. You say that the fired case has a "stamp" of BL? Is this stamped into the metal if so it represents the monogram of the manufacturer of the empty case and the month/year of manufacture.
This thread has a bit more info - http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/72765-1-cart-Elect-Engine