What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just an interesting picture

Which plane is it? I've tried to ID this picture and in the process found, to my great surprise, that US is using various Russian war planes and choppers. Rick, my daughter has joint AF ROTC. Maybe I'll learn more about planes.

Thanks, I thought it was F22 Raptor, but when I checked the wings were slightly different. I watched F22 taking off at JBER Elmendorf, a lot of sound waves.

Vlad

Been on the road, so a delay in responding. As thekees noted, it's the infamous F35. The F22 has 2 holes in the back, the F35 just the one. That's how I tell them apart.

f22.jpgf35 back.jpg

Last edited:
That must be the best angle for the F-35,surely one of the most ugly aircraft of recent times!

That must be the best angle for the F-35,surely one of the most ugly aircraft of recent times![/QUOTE

That could be the start of a new thread. UGLY AIRPLANES! Wrong forum, I suppose. Unless they were pictured loaded out with ordnance.

Aerovan.jpg Here's a beaut.

Last edited:
i do like the F-22 Raptor style a lot, this one was at the Melbourne airshow earlier this year.
And keep coming those strange aircraft, have a few nice ones too.

Attachments

• 20150226_134710.jpg
    20150226_134710.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 30
I wouldn't say the Miles Aerovan was ugly,cute maybe?..thats what you get when someone suggests mating a garden shed with some left over aeroplane parts.

As in most things: Beauty. Eye. Beholder.

And here was the F35's competition: Ugly.jpg

Last edited:
Looks aside it is also ugly in its functionallity. Internal weapons stores are too small leaving the ordnance outside ruining the stealth capabilities, single engine withouut supercruise and way overpriced ! What a mess that Canada decided to buy this as the development costs still surge while we wait to recieve these here. Couldn't we have bought in on the Eurofighter or something other than overglorified U.S. equipment ? Just my little rant . Please excuse me.
SHAKY

Looks aside it is also ugly in its functionallity. Internal weapons stores are too small leaving the ordnance outside ruining the stealth capabilities, single engine withouut supercruise and way overpriced ! What a mess that Canada decided to buy this as the development costs still surge while we wait to recieve these here. Couldn't we have bought in on the Eurofighter or something other than overglorified U.S. equipment ? Just my little rant . Please excuse me.
SHAKY

Re the F35. Politics aside, as I understand it, RCAF was interested in a 5th Gen. fighter, not a 30year old airframe/technology. They already have that in the CF-18. And to go even further back, similar arguments were levied against the F-18(CF-18) acquisition. Cost overruns, prone to breakage/downtime, etc. Generally reported, and exaggerated by the competition/losing seller. All inherent in the airplane buying biz.

Re the F35. Politics aside, as I understand it, RCAF was interested in a 5th Gen. fighter, not a 30year old airframe/technology. They already have that in the CF-18. And to go even further back, similar arguments were levied against the F-18(CF-18) acquisition. Cost overruns, prone to breakage/downtime, etc. Generally reported, and exaggerated by the competition/losing seller. All inherent in the airplane buying biz.

I remember while at camp back in the day seeing the wreckage of one of ouf new CF 18's slung under a Chinook on its' way back to base after another engine failure. We lost a couple this way in the beginning. Teething pains?
Bob. As soon as they put one on the shelf at Walmart I'll let you know. I think a bit better with two engines and possible supercruise.

I haven't really kept up, but a few years back the US was intending to lease some Soviet designed aircraft to train the Afghans. Their air force had used Soviet equipment previously, so that was deemed the easiest course of action. Would have simplified the maintenance and parts also.

SHAKY

Just saw where the new(incoming) Canadian PM, Mr. Trudeau (sp?) is cancelling the RCAF F-35 "buy". Anxious to see how all that unfolds.

A good portion of the Draken fleet is ex-New Zealand airforce,(A-4K and Macchi339)the Labour government of the time(2001) just didn't like the idea of having actual Force in the Air Force so grounded them on the basis they were 'Clapped out'.
They are very effective at what they can do,the only clapped out feature was the pitiful sale price,i think the whole Skyhawk fleet(about 10 airframes +spares) for about $5mill.and the bargain Macchi fleet(about10 frames+spares) for $800,000!.