What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just when do you give up

I think I have a larvae farm here -

and do the socks start to split at the heel before they Morph into the hanger ?

I had something held by customs who panicked, then called the bomb chaps who then sent it up the the army base who then blew it up.(My inner soul hopes somebody stole it and it still lives on someplace) The most I could figure out was that it was the primer in the case ? I found out when the box arrived empty with a custom note in it -- I tracked it up to the base and demo chaps but it was too late. I not longer have anything mailed into Canada , the customs and the police are both untrained and quite frankly non caring and sometimes out right stupid. In no case did they make any attempt to contact me which for them would have been easy given my address on the package. And I had the federal import form. I was sick for a month and may never really get over it. :tinysmile_cry_t3:

I have to stop -----

this one's for Dano

Sruth Sorry to hear about your postal issue Dano, just to make you feel better I will tell you a story that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy and take your mind of your troubles. Now sit back ,get comfy ask the missus to pour you a nice cold one. Ready?
Now where to start? first off a bit of background this story happened to a bloke I know let's call him Daryl "hey thats my name!". When you live in this far off island called Australia it is a paradice like no other the beers are cold and the women hot. Yes it truely is paradice as long as you don't want to collect things like weapons and ordnance as these have been deemed "bad things" Because OZ is surrounded by this big ocean and we have never really been invaded " local indiginous peoples will argue this point" the item to collect available are very limited and command high prices so if you just want to collect M36's or 3" mortars no problems But if your like me "I meen this Daryl bloke " and you want somthing different well then you have to learn to jump thru hoops! First to collect you must join a recognized collecting group then to import you must obtain a ammo collecting liecense form Mines&Energy you also have to pay for a Police and ASIO {Aust security intel org} background check! Now finally you have this piece of paper that says "you are licensed to import ammunition" Now your all thinking that wasn't that hard ? This is true but the story isn't over yet so refresh your drinks duck off to the loo and settle back in .
Ready Well you now have your importing license Now the fun begins say you find 2 WW1 rifle grenades for sale on an auction site called SA and you win the auction on 18th Jan 2009 You contact seller and all is well you must now apply to your state police for an import permit this can take up to 4 weeks but as in this case the state police officer gets it in his head that it should not be his job to do he refuses to issue the permit and flips it over to mines&Energy who then say it's the police's job not theirs so 6 weeks latter still no permit So Daryl starts ringing around finally someone with common sence in M&E realizes the whats going on calles police officer who still wont sign permit unless M&E inspects my secure storage facillity "did I forget to mention ordnance must be securly stored sorry about that" Well since the weapons licensing branch had visited 4 weeks earlier doing annual audit on firearm licence holder I contacted police officer who said to bad M&E must do their own inspection 4 week wait { cut to 2weeks because they got sick of me calling every 2 days phy warfare on my part lol } Now with M&EHppy and local police officer out of excuses I get my long awaited form B709B Now I just need to fill out the B710 Australian Customs form to import schedule 2& 3weapons with this form you must include original B709B , Brochure/picture/photo of goods , evidence of end user {colletor license ammunition ] And photo ID. you guys still with me or have some of you fallen asleep??? Now all this is sent to Canberra [capitol of OZ] 4weeks latter I get a reply can't import until they are deactivated I say they are inert they say to bad must be deactivated I say inert is deactivated They say no deactivated is drilling a 5mm hole in the side I say your kidding they say that is their current ruling I say go f#@k yourself and your currenting rulring {not realy but I wanted to so badly}

Page TWO

Sorry about that I ran out of room on the page where were we thats right Goldilocks said this porriage is much to hot for me to eat ? Whoops wrong story So Oz customs think that a 5mm hole in the side is deactivating { they have now changed their ruling and all grenades ,mortars bombsand fuses MUST be 1/4 sectioned before importing} Well I now contact the seller in england hoping he hasn't died of old age and thank goodness he's only just moved into the retirment home. He's a great guy and will drill the hole no problem so holes are drill pic's emailed to me I email to customs and all is well. Items sent on 12th july 2009 via Airmail. 4 weeks latter still no parcel I contact bloke in UK he has sent them Now I trust this guy he has bent over backwards answered all my emails so no issue with him if he tells me he sent them I believe. after 4months which is time it takes for surface mail from Ol blighty to get here I give up and shead a tear raise my fists to the sky and scream "BUGGER" . In Oct I had recieved 3 nice letters from our postal service stating Seizere and Destruction Notice for three parcels that had arrived for UK for me. These letter had no contact numbers and a signiture written by somone who could have passed as a doctor it was that bad. So armed with this lack of information I begin a 2 day phone quest to find out whats going on finally find a person to talk to who know nothing and fails to returm promised phone calls. We I'm normally a mild mannerd Aussie bloke who likes a quite life but whem I feel I'm about to be bent over and probed you had better have a diploma of medicence hanging on your wall !! So I'm a little miffted with it all and visit my solicitor he takes about a month to get it sorted {only cost me $821.70 } Austraia post returns items to customs and tells them they wont deliver and that I should make other arrangments Well OZ is a big place and I'm only 1800 km's away Luckily I have a mate who is also a collector he is able to pick them up and organize transport When he goes to pick them up a customs officer says that there is another parcel that had just been sent up from the Sydnet office that had been muisplaced { for 5 months} and you guessed it my 2 ww1 rifle grenades so bought on 18th Jan 2009 in my hands on 25th Jan 2010 So to you Dano I laugh at your 120 days and say beat that LOL. I must go and lay down and rest it has bought back terrible memories that and the fact I have worn down my typing finger about 1/2 an inch
So from OZ keep your head up and don't let the Bastards get you down

Please note that in OZ "bastard " is the first word we teach our children to say and is not concidered a swear word but a term off endearment so if a Aussie bloke walks up to you a says" Howsit going you pommie bastard" you should reply" fair dinkum mate I'm as dry as a dead dingoes donga let go have a beer " Do this and all will be well
PS Its Australia day over here nothing tastes better than Beer on cornflakes our kids just love it. Regards to All Daryl

Hello 25thapril,
Good heavens, what is our world coming to? I understand that since our UK pistol ban, armed crime has risen and of course the criminals would not apply for a firearms certificate for any weapon as they find it easier to obtain an illegal firearm from within their own group of acquaintances.
Yet again the only people who suffer are the legitimate competition shooters, collectors, etc, who have already been vetted to ensure that they have adequate safes, secure locks, and of course no criminal record, and also have paid for the privilege of being honest citizens, in order to obtain a firearm certificate.
At the onset of WW2 the authorities were desperately short of weapons and even more importantly, civilians who were able to shoot accurately and safely. Our Home Guard were encouraged to muster with any weapons they could find from shotguns to kitchen knives tied to broom handles.
Surely it's better to have an educated (vetted) section of the public who understand the correct way to use a weapon, in case of a national emergency or civil unrest because at the present time it's only the bad guys and the police and military who carry ordnance, and the criminals will not be seeking permission to use theirs to keep the peace?
Well thats my grumble for today. I'd be interested to hear what other members think as all our countries have different rules and regulations. As for the Canadian authorities using a controlled explosion to dispose of a resin replica grenade, (I have only heard about this from a fellow collector so can't vouch for it to be true), I wonder whatever happened to common sense?
I've no wish to get into a political debate here, but would like to hear of any other pointless rules from different parts of the world. Is it illegal to use a metal detector in France for example?
Hope I've not opened a can of worms here?
Best regards,
navyman.

Detectors

Hi Navyman,
Not sure about metal detectors being illegal in France,but using them in Belgium is a big no no,besides being pointless as the ground is full of scrap iron from WW1 and you would have a job not get a signal,It is also very dangerous as vast amounts of this scrap iron is still live,still maims & still kills!
All the best
Tony

I'd just like to say to 25thApril,

HAVE A HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY and a cold beer!!

think I need one now after reading what you guys have to go through for a couple of INERT German rifle grenades!!

regards
Kev

The ultimate answer

After reading these posts I guess the answer to my original question is obvious. Just when do you give up? NEVER!! Dano

After reading these posts I guess the answer to my original question is obvious. Just when do you give up? NEVER!! Dano

:bigsmile: Yeah,talk about a thread diversion by some of these krazy-kids!! good grief!

best

waff

Last edited:
It is illegal to use a metal detector on any historic site in France especially battlefields where the police keep a special eye out for their use. I'm told that in Verdun people have had really heavy fines (like 10,000 euros) and had their cars confiscated for using them on battlefields.

Otherwise you can use a metal detector in non hostoric places with the permission of the land owner and sometimes the local mayor.

Many French detectorists work spoil heaps on building sites, especially in old towns. Contrary to popular myth they can be owned and there are a number of French metal detectorist magazines.

John

When you think about one would want to be as covert as possible when relic hunting, and if you're lugging a metal detector around, may as well hang a neon sign on your back that says "hey I am hunting relics"! Also as Tony said there is so damn much metal there anyway a detector may well be useless. This thread has been bounced a bit but I think has made for some pretty interesting reading. I guess if you live in "OZ" you are in for a ride to even collect in the first place.. Speak softly and carry a big stick...Dano

Last edited:
trust me

Trust me, my friends here at BOCN will be the second to know. After the incident the other day with the post lady, now she just throws the mail in the yard and runs! Dano

postal incident

Around about mail delivery time I happened and noticed the post lady walking to my box with a package. That got me excited so I threw open the door and started to humping her leg. Well after apologies and explanations to keep myself out of jail she laughed and walked off. What was in the box was a pair of sneakers my wife had ordered from Fingerhut. Now she throws my mail in the yard and takes off running...Dano

Mails in!
love-smiley-076.gif

And Dano says "This won't hurt a bit, did it?"

My long term package got here today 5 months and eight days after I paid for it. Damnable hell is I bought it to go with another piece, gave up and traded the other piece off. Guess i'll have yo get another...Dano

Glad to hear you got your parcel eventually Dano. We were worried over this side of the pond about your stress levels!
Good luck with the next delivery, has the post lady forgiven you yet?
Cheers,
navyman.

Had a parcel from France arrive 6 months late. I had forgotten all about it and couldn't figure out what it was. Old age and probably for the best. It had been mailed in one week after the auction. Wha tales it may tell!!

- Mike