What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karma, it works.

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
I was asked to supply 2 105mm carts to the Lady Haigh Poppy Factory in Edinburgh, Scotland, which I was able to do. They will be polished up and presented to retiring ex soldiers. I was given a tour of the factory by Maj Charlie Pelling (RTR) who gave me some other cases that were too big. They get lots of gifts from people and sometimes don't know what to do with them all.

100_0605.jpg

The cases I was given.

100_0608.jpg

They are steel and the head stamps are covered in corrosion making them unreadable. One of the primers has:
N42 mk3 FL 2/63 20
GD 8/63
what looks like a crows foot in a hexagon
and something in a square

the other primer has:
N42 mk3 FL 12/62 18
GD 7/63
what looks like a crows foot in a hexagon
and something like ff in a square

664mm high and approx 80mm at the mouth, 142mm across the base
My guess is British Naval can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Hello . . look like 3inch 70cal cases. Don't have my lists at hand but thought the rim diameter was 138mm. I have a US case at home which has a mouth large enough to cover the driving bands. From pictures i've seen of the UK rounds , they have that "threaded" crimping arrangement as in your photos. Nice score. Karmic indeed...
The guns were automatic and very complex and heavy.

Hi. looks like a U.S. 3in 70Cal , with brit. type crimps. My cases have a 138mm rim, 126mm base & 115mm neck mouth 80mm. Would you please post your case rim,base & neck dia.
Thanks Frank

This ammunition was used in US and British guns which differed in various ways. Canada also , IIRC , used the gun (British version perhaps).
However they were expensive beasts and soon declared obsolete. Missiles were in favour at that time.