What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keeping and storing live blanks

Mser

Many thanks exact808, these have been some very useful replies, especially the data sheet giving avareage number of rounds. It saved me having to work it out.

Looking at it though, one would need a fairly substantial collection of SAA to exceed the 20kg of explosive content, probably something like 8-10,000 rounds of calibres between .22 and 7,92mm, which is more than most people have.

Fortunately, I do not collect the big stuff so am comfortable that I still have a fair way to go!

Regards
TonyE

Exat808,

Thanks once again.

TonyE,

I thought you went as far as .50", .55" and the like. Seems to me that you wouldn't need too many of them to upset the weight restriction.

TimG

Thank you for the comments.
For the information of all, the data sheet appearing in an earlier post was compiled using some average charge loadings from data found in Barnes - Cartridges of the World - I'm not sure which edition we used.
There is also a table of charge weights/cartridge numbers in the HSE Publication "A Guide to the Control of Explosives Regulations 1991" ISBN 0 11 885670 7

Exat808,

Thanks once again.

TonyE,

I thought you went as far as .50", .55" and the like. Seems to me that you wouldn't need too many of them to upset the weight restriction.

TimG

I do, but one never has THAT many .55 Boys. I doubt if my total count is more that about 25 rounds, plus perhaps another 75 .50 Brownings.

The net weight of propellant is probably no more than about 300 .303 rounds.

REgards
TonyE

Tony,

From what I can see the average .50" Browning load is 248 gr. Which is roughly 60 rounds per Kilo. I thought you would have boxes of it.

Regards

Tim