What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kinetic Bullet Puller

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Anyone have any idea where I could accquire/purchase or know of plans for manufacture of a kinetic bullet puller for a 20mm cartridge?

The largest I've ever seen is for a 7.62mm and I have quite a few larger rounds that I need to download.

Been thinking about making one for 30mm, but the only way i can see it working is dropping it down a tube from a height with a stop for the case and hope the kinetic energy gained by the projectile is enough to release it from the crimping?

Screw or Hydraulic !

The larger calibres are best dealt with using either a "screw" puller or a "Hydraulic" puller but due to the extreme forces involved these tend to be made with special teeth to grip the projectiles thus badly marking them as Charlie points out.

There was a puller made many years ago that used tapered collars that were profiled to fit the projectile and therefore would not damage it so it could be removed and the Projectiles re used.

The Hydraulic pullers are also easily used in a "remote operation" situation for safety reasons and were very reliable and safe.(no electrics involved)