What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kugel Panier: Real, or Repro?

Trenchwarfare

The previous Kugel thread, reminded of my panier. Was purchased off ebay, several years ago, from a lady that sold antiques. My question is: Is it live, or is it Memorex? It is the only one, I have actually examined. When I bought it, there were repros, and Dug-ups reconditioned relics, for sale on ebay. None of which looked like this one. Looks good to me but.... Sorry for the crappy pictures.

Attachments

• Picture 620.jpg
    Picture 620.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 621.jpg
    Picture 621.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 622.jpg
    Picture 622.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Picture 623.jpg
    Picture 623.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 624.jpg
    Picture 624.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 54
if thats a repro its an excellent well constructed one and very close to the original dug examples I have,the leather looks newish as stated but it all depends on the pictures and like you say they are not the best so may well be aged but good condition leather.The stud on the side for retaining the strap is a dead ringer for mine,chain and clip look the part also.

either way its a beauty

MG34NZ

Thanks guys. I personally, think it is original, and unissued. I negotiated a deal on it minutes after it was listed. Lady was told it was a grenade holder, and had it listed as such. That's how I found it. Bought it for $35.00, delivered!:bigsmile:

real

Take a close look at thr repros, then take a close look at yours. differences are subtle but obvious. Yours is original..Dano

Hey Trenchy,
Your photos suck and so does the Panier, but I will take it off your hands so you do not have to feel the shame, because I am such a nice guy.
I would say that the leather is new, and it has not been aged, but the metal has (if it is fake), and that does not make any sense. So I would vote that you got a great deal on an original item that I don't even have a crappy fake, so that puts you back on the "list"
Best wishes
Gus
ps the only photos that suck, are the ones that are not posted:)

kugel holder thingie

Yes Gus the leather is replacment which one would expect after 100 years, the metal original, again compare a repro to an original. the differences are there..

All of the Kugal paniers I have seen have had some old rust damage somewhere. The metal was fairly cheap and they were quite lightly built. If there is no old rust damage, then you are either very very lucky, or its a repro. From the photos yours does look to be more likely to be original, but note the 'rust test'.

John