What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KwK43 HE Round ID color

kwk43

Hello, first time around for me, so I hope all goes well.
I have a question on the color used in Panzers for the KwK43
HE rounds. I've been told they are green and I've seen
photos of yellow. Muenster Tank Museam show the HE yellow.
Does any have color illustrations or can you guide me to the appropiate
books for reference. It would be really great to know how these appeared in the original form.
2nd question, were the AP's always black with white tips?
Many thanks in advance.

2nd question, were the AP's always black with white tips?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi KwK43, welcome to the forum.

The KwK43 gun used 2 different AP projectiles.
8,8 cm. Pzgr. Patr. 39/1
8,8 cm. Pzgr. Patr. 39/43

Both of these projectiles had the upper 40mm of the ballistic cap painted white. Please note that they did have different size drive bands.

PC

Hello KwK, they have told me that when the KWK 43 came into service, the first lot from 1943 was yellow, i have 2 yellow ones dated 1943, also i have a yellow HE projectile with small driving bands, mostley used on the Flak 41, but on this projectile you see 3 white spots thats an indicator for KWK 43, after 1943 they went to Green projectiles, hope this is oke for you. Ben

i have 2 yellow ones dated 1943, also i have a yellow HE projectile with small driving bands, on this projectile you see 3 white spots thats an indicator for KWK 43, after 1943 they went to Green projectiles,

Hi Ben
Have you any pictures of your KwK43 HE projectiles. I am especially interested in the projectile with the white spots and the green one? I am not sure if you have a green projectile.
Many thanks.
PC

Hi KwK,

The Pzrg.Patr39-1 had two narrow iron driving bands 11.4mm wide but was found to be inaccurate when fired from worn barrels. Consequently, the Pzrg.Patr39-43 was produced with wider (16.5mm) driving bands. The use of former was restricted to barrels that had fired less than 500rds.
There was a third penetrating projectile in very limited use, the tungsten cored Pzrg.Patr40.
And NOT ALL penetrating projectiles had a white tip. I have a Pzrg.39-43 that has no white tip.
Hope this helps you.
Regards

KWK 43 yellow projectile

Here is a picture of the KWK 43 with small bands, look at the white spots, in the picture you see 2, there are 3 on the projectiles, also you can see it on the markings of the filling, Flak used an other number than the KWK, Ben

Attachments

• KWK 43 small bands.jpg
    KWK 43 small bands.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 119
Thanks Ben.
The white marks are interesting and I know you say they are for an indicator.
In the past I have only seen indicator markings when similar projectiles are used with the same case. For example the white tip on 8.8cm pzgr projectiles.

Does it indicate a particular type of sprgr projectile or just that it is a KwK43 shell.?

PC

Hello PC,

I think its an indicater for KWK, this projectile is a flak 41 projectile, but the filling is different, and you have the 3 white spots indicator for KWK. hope this is oke. Ben

Hi KwK43, welcome to the forum.

Here are some drawings from the russian handbook, maybe it helps too.

Regards
E

Attachments

• 425.jpg
    425.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 426.jpg
    426.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 77
He 43

Hello, and thanks for the replys. Everything helps, and I found the Russian color illustrations very interesting. Are there more color photos out there? Were there any standard used by the Germans for all of their Panzers using the KwK43 such as the King Tiger, Jadgpanther, Elephant, Nashorn and others? Or was it more of a case of what ever they had available in 1943 and later? Did they start running out of ammunion in 43? How did they tell the HE rounds apart from the KWK and the PAK use, or did it matter? I really appreciate all the help.. It's Great!

Hi Again KwK,

Couple of pictures for you.

Two 8.8cm Pzrg Patr39/43 rounds, the one on the left is 1943 vintage, the right 1944. Note the 1944 round has now been given a white tip, absent on the '43 projectile (and contrary to what you may have been told).

Identical rounds were used in both the tank (KwK43) and anti tank (Pak43) roles, both using the electric C22 primers.

Regards

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 65