What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kynoch .303

peashooter

BOCN Supporter
Can anyone tell me which different bullet types could apear on a .303 which has a headstamp - 303 KYNOCH. I just ask because I have 3 now

1 - Copper coloured steel core round nose - bought as mk6
2 - Jacketed with small lead soft tip
3 - Jacketed with large round lead tip

any more??

thanks
Richard

The last full Kynoch catalogue published about 1957 listed the following:

215 grn Mark VI Round nosed
174 grn Mark VII - lead/aluminium cored
215 grn round soft nosed.
210 grn Westley Ricjards copper tubed
192 grn soft nosed copper tubed
174 grn soft nosed pointed
150 grn copper pointed

At that date all these would have been gilding metal clad (copper coloured)

The 1937 catalogue listed the same bullets, but some of those may have had Cupro-nickel envelopes.

I very much doubt if you have a steel cored round nosed bullet. It is much more likely to be a GMCS (gilding metal clad steel) envelope from the immediate post war period when copper was still relatively scarce and Kynoch would have had plenty of GMCS sheet left over from military contracts.

Regards
TonyE

Would the 215 grn Mark VI Round nosed stick to a magnet as the copper coloured round nosed bullet sticks to a magnet.

Do you have any photo's of these espesially the 210 grn Westley Richards copper tubed?

many thanks

Richard

Mark VI

If it has a gilding metal clad STEEL envelope of course it will stick to a magnet. In fact, GMCS bullets often show a higher magnetic attraction, especially at the tip than an AP round.
I will post a picture of the Wesyley Richards tubed bullet later when I have scanned a picture.

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Westley Richards capped bullet

Here is a scan of the Westley Richards capped bullet from the 1957 Kynoch catalogue.

Most if not all I have seen have the main envelope of cupro-nickle with a copper cap.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• WR capped.jpg
    WR capped.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 42
I have the 215 grn round soft nosed bullet type but I seem to have some with a hole in the end of the lead tip and some have a solid lead end, should there be 2 types. These are live untouched rounds so I am a little confused any ides?

Richard.

Hollow point

The 1937 catalogue listed the 215 grn round nosed bullet as available in both soft nosed and soft nosed hollow point, so they certainly made the type you have. At that date the envelopes would have been CN (silver) but if yours are GM it is quite possible Kynoch made them for a special order even though that particular bullet was not a stock item from the post war catalogue.

Regards
TonyE

Yes they are both GM many thanks I will keep one of each and the others will do for swaps

cheers & many thanks again

Richard.