What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kynoch 303

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi, I just picked up a couple of 303 cases, both are stamped Kynoch 303 one has the primer crimped in, are they both military case? and any idea of date? any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• P1110499.jpg
    P1110499.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 84
  • P1110500.jpg
    P1110500.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
hi Andy, these are commercial rounds, probably had soft nosed bullets (lead tip) and probably date from the 50s or 60s. They would have come in the red & yellow boxes that one occasionally sees. Dave

I can assure you this Headstamp was used much earlier than the 50/60's I have catalouges from the 30's with it in, I can not check at the moment because all my archive including all the stuff from Tony Edwards and Peter Labbett have gone for scanning into digital format and in there I have lots of very early catalouges and journals.

You dont only get lead soft point bullets in these cases there are lots of different bullets I have about 12 different ones so far it is a mini collection on its own within my .303 collection. I will try and photograph all the types I have, Andy I am sure I sent you some Westly Richards Copper capped rounds with this headstamp a few years ago didnt I.

Rich.Westley Richards capped bullet .303.jpg

Thanks Rich be nice to see all the different rounds, and yes you did send me a westly richards round a few years ago and many thanks too, i was wondering as one of the cases has the primer ringed in, thats why i thought it could have been military?
Cheers
Andy

Right Andy I have found a bit more info and a possible reason for the ring crimp, This is a snippet from another forum on these early "KYNOCH" headstamped rounds

"Every year the NRA Bisley place a private contract for the ammunition to be used in their competitions because all competitors have to use issued ammunition and it had to be millitery spec"

Rich

Hi all, especially Rich and Andy.

Re the comment about the NRA, I can state that from research in the NRA's records that they never used rounds headstamped "KYNOCH .303" for the Imperial Meeting. All rifle ammunition for the main competitions was supplied by the War Office/MoD, free of charge, and was strictly military in origin. The only years that Kynoch ammunition was used were 1920/21/22 ( when it was "K15", and 1923, when it was "K 23".

KYNOCH 303 is strictly a commercial headstamp, and rounds with this may or may not have had the primer ring-crimped in, depending on the pressure that the round might develop, and Kynoch's feelings on the matter. I don't think there was any other significance to the matter.

Regards,
Roger.

Thanks Roger
I have gone through all my Kynoch commercial rounds and none have a ring crimp on any of mine, could the ring crimp have been a customer request do you think or which of the commercial bullets would have had high enough preassures to require a ring crimp on the primer

Rich

Sorry Andy I forgot I will do it this weekend, here is a page from an early catalouge with some of them. This was from the 30's
Kynoch sporting bullets.jpg

Rich

In the early 60s,during my time in the RAF,(Airfield Construction Branch)we were stationed "up country"close to the Yemen border,shops in the local Souks sold .303 rounds for 10c each headstamp was Kynoch 303,there looked to be no difference between the civilian rounds and the military rounds issued to us other than the headstamp,I did not see the individual boxes as the rounds were loose in a large box and sold like sweets,many locals carried an SMLE,
Cheers,
Don,

Sorry for the delay Andy I have been tied up with ill parents, here are a few photos of the Kynoch .303 headstamped rounds I have and a photo of some more bullets salvaged from damaged cases with the same headstamp.
Kynoch .303 bullet types.jpgKynoch .303 bullets.jpg

Not the far right bullet in the last photo, I did know what it was but I have forgotten its not .303

Oh and I also forgot to say I have more than in the photo, some are loaded same bullets but with Cordite and some are NC powder but headstamp is still just "KYNOCH .303" on all rounds

cheers

Richard.

Last edited: