What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L1a2c REFLECTOR GUNSIGHT

magpie

Would anyone know what aircraft this gunsight was fitted in or just any of the jet fighters in service at the time, also when it would have stopped being in use?
Thanks Andy :)

Attachments

• DSC_2988.jpg
    DSC_2988.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_2989.jpg
    DSC_2989.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_2994.jpg
    DSC_2994.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_2992.jpg
    DSC_2992.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_2993.jpg
    DSC_2993.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_3000.jpg
    DSC_3000.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 23
To further Slick's remark there is no Sorbo rubber 'crash pad' there is no apparent provision for setting airspeed, no 'RP' and or bomb setting. Finally, the model is L*** - indicating land service.

TimG

P.S. Also, if for an aircraft I think it would be referred to as a 'G.G.S.' - Gyro Gun Sight

Last edited:
Land Service number is a bit of a giveaway (Naval service is 'N' and Air service 'K').

Bofors is the obvious one, possibly part of the Bristol upgrade to 40/60, although there was supposed to be a new optical sight with 40/70 when it entered service but I'm not sure if this happened because FCE 7 was designed for 40/70 and made optical sights redundant.

Thank you all for your replies :) the sight seems to be made from aluminium and unlike other gun sights is not weather proofed in any way so if it rained or was in dusty conditions it wouldn't be long before trouble started and that's why thought it would be from an aircraft.
It would still be nice to find out exactly what it is for and perhaps I will never know :)

Bofors it is :)

Attachments

• Bofors3.jpg
    Bofors3.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Bofors2.jpg
    Bofors2.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Bofors1.jpg
    Bofors1.jpg